Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

window family doesn't cut in plan view

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kwg06516
19953 Views, 11 Replies

window family doesn't cut in plan view

by default.  I forget what but there's some routine to make this family cut properly in a plan view.  Why they made viewing the top of the family the default position I DON"T KNOW but what do you expect from programmers?  Understanding?

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: kwg06516

In the family editor, select the solid made by sweep, located at the upper portion of the window. Select visibility settings > uncheck Plan/RCP > load into project.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 12
kwg06516
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Ok that works...

But why?  Why make objects above a cutplane visible in a plan view?  I don't get the logic behind that.

And what happens when I have the same situation at two different elevations, where one window is being cut at the transom level?

now what.png

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Message 4 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

The height of the cut plane in the family editor determines the default display of the family in the project. If you want the family to be cut by default at the transom you could set the cut plane in the family to be 7' 2", for example.

When two windows of the same type need to be cut at different heights in a project, you use a plan region to set a custom cut plane.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 12
cjgielens

Just tested in Revit 2012, even when using a plan region, the window or door will be cut at cutplane set in the family.

Message 6 of 12
kwg06516

No that doesn't work.  I set the cutplane in this family's plan view to 5'-0" and it doesn't cut at all.  It doesn't cut in the family editor or the project.

I played around with the view range settings.  Standard items like doors, windows and walls obey the rules but this and other componnents do not.

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Message 7 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

There are other alternatives other than view range. In this example, I managed to show two instances of the same window type in different ways, by using a combination of settings in the family: "visibility settings" for plan view/rcp and instance visibility parameters:

11-19-2013 12-51-15 PM.jpg

Message 8 of 12
Chris.Aquino

The HVAC component (and all other MEP components) are set to display if they are in the View Range, regardless if they are above or below the cut plane. This is due to the nature of MEP drawings where elements are typically far above the traditional cut plane.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 9 of 12

This is very helpful info!  I had to right click on the family object and select visibility.  From there I unchecked Plan/RCP.

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
jhoadcoombe
in reply to: sergetsvasman

It took me ages to figure out how to edit the cut plane within a family, but thanks to this guide: https://aectechtalk.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/cut-plane-within-revit-families/

there it is...

Quote:

There is a difference between actually finding the View Range parameter in a model view and a family view. In a family, you must pick on and highlight the view name so that it has the blue highlight box around the view name. If the view name (such as Ref. Level) is not highlighted in blue, you will not see the View Range parameter.  In a Revit model, as long as you have the view active, you will see the View Range parameter in the view’s Properties palette. This is not the case when you are in a family view.

Message 11 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: jhoadcoombe

@jhoadcoombe wrote:

It took me ages to figure out how to edit the cut plane within a family, but thanks to this guide: https://aectechtalk.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/cut-plane-within-revit-families/

there it is...

Quote:

There is a difference between actually finding the View Range parameter in a model view and a family view. In a family, you must pick on and highlight the view name so that it has the blue highlight box around the view name. If the view name (such as Ref. Level) is not highlighted in blue, you will not see the View Range parameter.  In a Revit model, as long as you have the view active, you will see the View Range parameter in the view’s Properties palette. This is not the case when you are in a family view.

Or just simply select it from the drop down?  

Annotation 2019-03-05 162721.png

p/s:  finding loot boxes and sub quests in video games certainly enhance my ability to figuring these stuff out.

Message 12 of 12
jesseM225G
in reply to: jhoadcoombe

Ahhh thanks....!  This is key information.  This particular issue of what controls the cut in a window family has been driving me nuts for months.  It's very unlikely I would have worked this out through trial and error.  One more of those random Revit things that "you just have to know".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report