Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Details?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
lself
498 Views, 3 Replies

Window Details?

I am doing something a little different. I do not know if anyone is familiar with passive house, but I have a 1'6" wall. What I am trying to do is get my window placed in the center of this wall rather than the inside or outside it automatically offers. Is this possible? Also where do you get installation details for a specific window? From the Company itself? Is this my job to do or should they provide that?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: lself

Do you have a company in mind? Did you ask them? The actual window would probably be a custom spec, and I imagine you'd have a deep sloping sill (although we are still only talking 9" to center). Have you tried any offset adjustments in the block itself? Did you try a Google search for revit, window, "thick wall"?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 4
lself
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

There doesnt seem to be an offset option for this particular problem. It only Gives the 2 placement options. As far as the detail yes I do have a brand and specific window in mind. is it the window manufacturer that is suppose to supply install details?

Message 4 of 4
CSEnginuities
in reply to: lself

I suppose this will depend on whether you are using families that come with the Revit installation or if you are creating your own families -- either way, an inserted window will place into a wall depending on how the family was initially created.

For example, when I created a window for a project I was working on, I created it using the Window Revit Family Template (RFT).  The attached "ScreenShot001" shows the custom family in plan view relative to the generic wall the Window RFT gives you (notice how the window is closer to the exterior side of the generic wall).  "ScreenShot002" shows a plan view of my custom window inserted into a project with the exterior offset facing downward (exterior) edge of this wall.  I then toggled the "Flip the Instance Facing" symbol in "ScreenShot003" so that you could see this offset mirrored to the upward (interior) edge of this wall. 

If you are going to create a Window Revit Family file (RFA) to be centered on 1'-6" thick walls, you could create it so that it inserts a set distance from the edge of wall.  Or, if you will be using your Window RFA for varying thicknesses of walls, you could have it align with the wall center line.  I'd recommend the latter so you can reuse your centered window for any wall thickness.  Try creating a preliminary RFA, inserting it into a project, then adjusting the window rfa alongside testing it in your test project to make sure it's doing what you need it to do. 

Here is a good resource I found that helped me out with this -- http://youtu.be/_R9T_OJ3OJU

I work in the commercial industry for a manufacturing company, so architect's or sub's using our manufacturer content seek us out for specific detailing if they can't find it on Reed or Autodesk Seek. 

G'luck!

Clara
----------
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report