Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

*Mike Reilly
Message 1 of 17 (143 Views)

Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref (link) from Revit files?

143 Views, 16 Replies
02-23-2004 05:39 PM
We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. We have 5 stations. Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will need to xref (link) my files. 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move to Revit or not? Thanks, Mike Reilly
*Paul Monsef
Message 2 of 17 (143 Views)

Re: Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref (link) from Revit files?

02-24-2004 09:30 AM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
*Mike Reilly
Message 3 of 17 (143 Views)

02-24-2004 03:49 PM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
*Greg Cashen
Message 4 of 17 (143 Views)

02-24-2004 03:52 PM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
Make your desire known to Autodesk. They will listen. "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
*Jussi
Message 5 of 17 (143 Views)

02-25-2004 06:26 AM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
*Greg Cashen
Message 6 of 17 (143 Views)

02-25-2004 07:10 AM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
*Jussi
Message 7 of 17 (143 Views)

02-26-2004 08:07 PM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
really? no one's using it. "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
*Christopher Zoog
Message 8 of 17 (143 Views)

02-26-2004 08:24 PM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
What makes you say that? I know many people who are using it. :smileywink: Z. Jussi wrote: > really? no one's using it. > > "Greg Cashen" > kirjoitti viestissä > news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... > Because Revit are better. > > "Jussi" > wrote in message > news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... > Why do you want have Revit? > - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. > > > "Mike Reilly" > kirjoitti viestissä > news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... > Thank-you Paul, > > 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than > nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should > be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, > Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has > to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not > mind my purchasing Revit. > > 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, > but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be > an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. > Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in > addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to > do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where > they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical > program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get > Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for > it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. > > Mike Reilly > > "Paul Monsef" > wrote in > message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... > Mike, > 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be > x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF > <>. > 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more > $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS > <>and > call your local reseller. > > Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) > > -- > Regards, > > Paul Monsef > ----------------------------- > TSA | architects, pllc > Production/CAD Manager > 425.401.6828 x105 > paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com > > > > > "Mike Reilly" > wrote in message > news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the > dealer did not tell us > > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject > it or add subscription. > > We have 5 stations. > > > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it > because Autocad can't > > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, > but not vice-versa. I > > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users > (engineers) in my office > > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with > Autocad or ADT. They will > > need to xref (link) my files. > > > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? > (Critical) > > > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like > they do with Inventor? > > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad > series, but we have ADT. > > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an > additional CAD program > > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. > Do they want us to move > > to Revit or not? > > > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > > > >
Distinguished Contributor
Steve_Stafford
Message 9 of 17 (143 Views)

02-27-2004 04:32 AM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
Baited...if no one is using Revit why are you reading posts here? Are you basing your assumption on this forum's activity?

If so...check out the Revit user forum at www.zoogdesign.com/forums to see a better representation of users...there are 17,500 posts since last April and only 887 ADT posts on the new forums at AUGI...3584 Autocad posts at AUGI...(AUGI started a little later but still not even close...)

Revit is well represented among the largest influential firms as well as smaller more "invisible" firms, globally, not just the US either.

"the train is leaving the station...are you coming?"
*Greg Cashen
Message 10 of 17 (143 Views)

02-27-2004 07:55 AM in reply to: *Mike Reilly
Jussi, if you are so happy with ADT, why are you here? I can honestly say that I have never even seen the ADT newsgroup 'cause I don't care abut ADT. Is this indicative of a general concern among ADT users? "Jussi" wrote in message news:403ec260_2@newsprd01... really? no one's using it. "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.