Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref (link) from Revit files?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
314 Views, 16 Replies

Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref (link) from Revit files?

We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. We have 5 stations. Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will need to xref (link) my files. 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move to Revit or not? Thanks, Mike Reilly
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Make your desire known to Autodesk. They will listen. "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

really? no one's using it. "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

What makes you say that? I know many people who are using it. ;) Z. Jussi wrote: > really? no one's using it. > > "Greg Cashen" > kirjoitti viestissä > news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... > Because Revit are better. > > "Jussi" > wrote in message > news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... > Why do you want have Revit? > - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. > > > "Mike Reilly" > kirjoitti viestissä > news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... > Thank-you Paul, > > 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than > nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should > be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, > Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has > to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not > mind my purchasing Revit. > > 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, > but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be > an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. > Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in > addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to > do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where > they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical > program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get > Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for > it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. > > Mike Reilly > > "Paul Monsef" > wrote in > message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... > Mike, > 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be > x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF > <>. > 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more > $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS > <>and > call your local reseller. > > Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) > > -- > Regards, > > Paul Monsef > ----------------------------- > TSA | architects, pllc > Production/CAD Manager > 425.401.6828 x105 > paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com > > > > > "Mike Reilly" > wrote in message > news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the > dealer did not tell us > > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject > it or add subscription. > > We have 5 stations. > > > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it > because Autocad can't > > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, > but not vice-versa. I > > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users > (engineers) in my office > > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with > Autocad or ADT. They will > > need to xref (link) my files. > > > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? > (Critical) > > > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like > they do with Inventor? > > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad > series, but we have ADT. > > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an > additional CAD program > > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. > Do they want us to move > > to Revit or not? > > > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > > > >
Message 9 of 17
Steve_Stafford

Baited...if no one is using Revit why are you reading posts here? Are you basing your assumption on this forum's activity?

If so...check out the Revit user forum at www.zoogdesign.com/forums to see a better representation of users...there are 17,500 posts since last April and only 887 ADT posts on the new forums at AUGI...3584 Autocad posts at AUGI...(AUGI started a little later but still not even close...)

Revit is well represented among the largest influential firms as well as smaller more "invisible" firms, globally, not just the US either.

"the train is leaving the station...are you coming?"
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

Jussi, if you are so happy with ADT, why are you here? I can honestly say that I have never even seen the ADT newsgroup 'cause I don't care abut ADT. Is this indicative of a general concern among ADT users? "Jussi" wrote in message news:403ec260_2@newsprd01... really? no one's using it. "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Hello Christopher, Steve, Greg - Replies. Ok, there are people using Revit... ;) Still I think Revit users are the Mac people of cad community - they have this zeal about the product they're using, but remain in the margin. Looking at my outlook express I can see that autodesk.revit has 393 posts and autodesk.aec.arch-desktop2004 has 22639? Then again, Revit users might hang out somewhere else... Why I'm here? Since this is a cad ng. (I also check regularly what's happening at graphisoft, nemetschek...) If a single revit user was looking at other products, it might be a big blow to the user base, but not to ADT. Which btw is doing better than ever - things are changing inside autodesk... Steve, train might be leaving, but rest of us are taking the other direction. Happy journey, Jussi "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403f6864_1@newsprd01... Jussi, if you are so happy with ADT, why are you here? I can honestly say that I have never even seen the ADT newsgroup 'cause I don't care abut ADT. Is this indicative of a general concern among ADT users? "Jussi" wrote in message news:403ec260_2@newsprd01... really? no one's using it. "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

"Jussi" wrote in message news:403fcb61_1@newsprd01... Hello Christopher, Steve, Greg >- Replies. Ok, there are people using Revit... ;) >Still I think Revit users are the Mac people of cad community - they have this zeal about the product they're using, but remain in the margin. In the margin as much as people who 'own' ADT and use it as AutoCAD. >Looking at my outlook express I can see that autodesk.revit has 393 posts and autodesk.aec.arch-desktop2004 has 22639? Then again, Revit users >might hang out somewhere else... Yep, somewhere else. www.zoogdesign.com/forums Nearly 1000 members in less than a year, by word of mouth only. Generated enough interest to cause major changes at AUGI.com >Why I'm here? Since this is a cad ng. >(I also check regularly what's happening at graphisoft, nemetschek...) >If a single revit user was looking at other products, it might be a big blow to the user base, but not to ADT. Revit users check out the competition all the time. They just keep coming back to the solution they know works best for them. >Which btw is doing better than ever - >things are changing inside autodesk... Yes, things are changing at Autodesk. ADT tools are being introduced that look very familiar to Revit users. Makes you wonder where the ideas are coming from. ADT is getting better....it had to. In fact, it could only get better. Don't think it could have got much worse. >Steve, train might be leaving, but rest of us are taking the other direction. >Happy journey, Jussi I couldn't have said it any better.....Revit users are moving forward, the others are headed in the other direction.
Message 13 of 17
Steve_Stafford

Time will tell....and yes the Autodesk forums are not where most Revit users "hang out"...enjoy your ride, I am...glad we're both happy, could be worse.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

Don't let the door hit you...nevermind, too easy. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403fcb61_1@newsprd01... Steve, train might be leaving, but rest of us are taking the other direction. Happy journey, Jussi
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

I have to admit, we have ADT, but only use it as vanilla Autocad. In fact, none of us use ADT at all. Perhaps that will change. It was difficult enough for us to learn Autocad. I'm the most proficient, but I don't know like I should. It's hard, so I figure after I'm really good with Autocad, I'll dive into the ADT. We've had it about 3 years? I've been a bit lazy in this regard, but I've been extremely busy (putting in overtime I don't get paid for, etc.) trying to get my projects done (primarily U.S. Army project mgmt but also architecture). I admit I haven't given ADT a fair chance yet; but really, ADT seems as hard or harder than Autocad to learn. It also seems unpleasant and not fun. I'm at the point where I want to seriously start learning an architectural add-on, and we have ADT, so I guess I'll go into that. -But, at the back of my mind I keep thinking - I should learn Revit instead. If Autodesk would just add ADT into the Revit series, I know I could get my govt. bean counters to let me get it. If Autodesk really wants us to migrate to Revit, they would do this. Mike Reilly "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:403fd038$1_3@newsprd01... > > "Jussi" wrote in message > news:403fcb61_1@newsprd01... > Hello Christopher, Steve, Greg > > >- Replies. Ok, there are people using Revit... ;) > >Still I think Revit users are the Mac people of cad community - they have > this zeal about the product they're using, but remain in the margin. > > In the margin as much as people who 'own' ADT and use it as AutoCAD. > > >Looking at my outlook express I can see that autodesk.revit has 393 posts > and autodesk.aec.arch-desktop2004 has 22639? Then again, Revit users >might > hang out somewhere else... > > Yep, somewhere else. www.zoogdesign.com/forums Nearly 1000 members in less > than a year, by word of mouth only. Generated enough interest to cause > major changes at AUGI.com > > >Why I'm here? Since this is a cad ng. > >(I also check regularly what's happening at graphisoft, nemetschek...) > >If a single revit user was looking at other products, it might be a big > blow to the user base, but not to ADT. > > Revit users check out the competition all the time. They just keep coming > back to the solution they know works best for them. > > >Which btw is doing better than ever - >things are changing inside > autodesk... > > Yes, things are changing at Autodesk. ADT tools are being introduced that > look very familiar to Revit users. Makes you wonder where the ideas are > coming from. ADT is getting better....it had to. In fact, it could only > get better. Don't think it could have got much worse. > > >Steve, train might be leaving, but rest of us are taking the other > direction. > >Happy journey, Jussi > > I couldn't have said it any better.....Revit users are moving forward, the > others are headed in the other direction. > > >
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Okay.. as an ADT and REVIT trainer I feel I should add some comments. First.. Revit has my absolute preference for several reasons 1. Revit has a new way of thinking about modelling-drawing and BIM. Imho the only correct way, the physical true model is the base for all the rest. 2. Revit can work 2-way, changing a 2d representation will change 3D + data.. changing the data will adjust the model. And functionality like that is only going to grow further. 3. The simplicity of modelling in Revit is amazing, I see people happily designing a whole house in Revit after a day of training.. in ADT I have them for four days, give them assignments and they still leave with the sense that they can't do anything. 4. True.. In some things, specially in the data-related area and controlling solutions on a detailed level, ADT is superior to Revit. But at the same time, almost no ADT users can really use the setting on this complex level. ADT's problem is that there are settings, and sub-settings, and controls, and sub-controls, and so on... So people tend to (mis)use ADT, which makes it a pretty limited tool for designers with a little bit of creativity. 5. All good new ideas in ADT seem to come from Revit, though.. because of the difference in approach (ADT is still building on a very old Acad engine) these ideas are only nice at the surface, when you dig into them they are just mock. so here's my say... you might think I'm a bit biased in favor of Revit, and I am.. but for good reasons! ;) "Jussi" wrote in message news:403fcb61_1@newsprd01... Hello Christopher, Steve, Greg - Replies. Ok, there are people using Revit... ;) Still I think Revit users are the Mac people of cad community - they have this zeal about the product they're using, but remain in the margin. Looking at my outlook express I can see that autodesk.revit has 393 posts and autodesk.aec.arch-desktop2004 has 22639? Then again, Revit users might hang out somewhere else... Why I'm here? Since this is a cad ng. (I also check regularly what's happening at graphisoft, nemetschek...) If a single revit user was looking at other products, it might be a big blow to the user base, but not to ADT. Which btw is doing better than ever - things are changing inside autodesk... Steve, train might be leaving, but rest of us are taking the other direction. Happy journey, Jussi "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403f6864_1@newsprd01... Jussi, if you are so happy with ADT, why are you here? I can honestly say that I have never even seen the ADT newsgroup 'cause I don't care abut ADT. Is this indicative of a general concern among ADT users? "Jussi" wrote in message news:403ec260_2@newsprd01... really? no one's using it. "Greg Cashen" kirjoitti viestissä news:403cbaf3_1@newsprd01... Because Revit are better. "Jussi" wrote in message news:403cb089_1@newsprd01... Why do you want have Revit? - You can do all the stuff straight in ADT. "Mike Reilly" kirjoitti viestissä news:403be301$1_1@newsprd01... Thank-you Paul, 1) Thanks. This certainly helps. It's better than nothing, but it's a complicated workaround for what should be a simple link. Like Revit can link to Autocad files, Autocad should be able to link to Revit files. Autodesk has to fix this severe limitation for my engineer people to not mind my purchasing Revit. 2) True, there is a plain vanilla Autocad / Revit series, but my people have Architectural Desktop. There needs to be an Autocad / Architectural Desktop / Revit series. Otherwise we have to buy a whole additonal Revit seat, in addition to ADT. We can't afford this. Autodesk needs to do like what they've done with the Inventor series, where they have Inventor, Autocad, and the legacy Mechanical program. If they can't do this, I don't see how we can get Revit, because I have to convince bean counters to pay for it, and they don't understand the need for the extra program. Mike Reilly "Paul Monsef" wrote in message news:403b8b4b$1_2@newsprd01... Mike, 1) Revit can export drawing files, which can then be x-ref'd into AutoCAD. See this PDF. 2) There is a Revit series available for a little more $$ which includes Revit and AutoCAD... See THIS and call your local reseller. Yes, they want you to move to revit... and so do I. ;^) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "Mike Reilly" wrote in message news:403aab3a$1_2@newsprd01... > We just upgraded to ADT 2004. It's in route and the dealer did not tell us > about 2005. I'm trying to find a way now to reject it or add subscription. > We have 5 stations. > > Anyway, I wanted Revit also, but I can't justify it because Autocad can't > xref Revit files. Revit can xref (link) .dwg files, but not vice-versa. I > (architect) want to add Revit, but the other users (engineers) in my office > (Army), and our contractors) want to stay with Autocad or ADT. They will > need to xref (link) my files. > > 1) Will Autocad 2005 be able to xref Revit files? (Critical) > > 2) Will Autocad offer a Autocad-ADT-Revit series like they do with Inventor? > It's nice that they're offering a Vanilla Autocad series, but we have ADT. > I'm having an extremely difficult time justifying an additional CAD program > purchase unless Autodesk can put it into a series. Do they want us to move > to Revit or not? > > Thanks, Mike Reilly > >
Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

I have a few thoughts to add to this discussion, hopefully for anyone who is choosing a BIM package and not already committed to one. While evaluating various BIM packages as our office was making it's second foray into that world I had a chance to attend a round table discussion with a group of other cad managers and architects, mostly people who did both. Both the Desktop and Revit groups felt strongly about their software, but the Desktop people were talking about the few new tools they were adding to AutoCAD while the Revit people were speaking a whole new language. Those using Architectural Desktop admitted to only using a few "critical" tools that they couldn't live without and ignoring the rest of the program. The Revit people were like Mac users who couldn't believe how much fun work could be. This matched our own experience with Desktop which our firm invested a lot of money and training into and saw zero return on. People just keep giving up and doing things they way they were used to. The reason there are 22,000 more questions on the Desktop page than on the Revit page is because the Revit users are busy drawing while the Desktop users are still trying to figure the program out. For me the real comparison was between ArchiCAD and Revit, and honestly, in the end it came down to our existing investment in Autodesk products (AutoCAD, Viz, Max, etc) and Autodesks 3000 pound gorilla status. Revit works smoothly with that group and promises to work even smoother (Viz render instead of Accurender, hint, hint). ArchiCAD has more features right now but if there's one thing you can count on Autodesk to do it's add features and Revit also had an easier interface and seamed more stable. Finally, there was the user test, I was comfortable with Revit but I'm an experienced user with a decade of experience with five different packages and thought Revit was easy, but would others feel the same way. As a matter of fact yes. My lucky victim was a partner with the firm who often preferred to draw by hand over AutoCAD and while proficient in AutoCAD still worked by hand whenever possible. I showed him the tutorials and got him started but didn't have time to work closely with him. After a weekend with the tutorials he decided to try it on a new single family home that he was just starting once I convinced him that if it didn't work out he could export it to AutoCAD and keep going in the way he was used to. That was two weeks ago, last week, due to a family emergency I was unexpectedly out the whole week... yesterday I came back and he was showing me a set of drawings ready for details. He had a whole set of plans, sections, and elevations and 20-30 interior perspectives which he said were very helpful in adjusting the design of this 5 bedroom custom residence. He was most proud of having the site topography finished and millwork drawn as a 3d family. I'm pretty sure that he spent some extra time on this but WOW, I was mostly sold two weeks ago, now you can count me among the Mac user like fanatics of Revit. I sill use AutoCAD (I have to for some things) but if your switching to BIM, switch, don't just add more tools to your CAD package. I'll cross post on Zoog because I'm so impressed with Revits adoption in my office.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report