Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Width/Height Parameter Based on family selection

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
wesleyf
2338 Views, 10 Replies

Width/Height Parameter Based on family selection

Hey guys, 
Hope someone can help with this, not sure what I am missing??? REF. image attached.

I am making prefab panels with each type having a different window (nested Family). I want to create an "if" formula for the window width/ height parameter that will be equal to a fixed amount based on which family is selected.
ie.... if(Window Type = W7(PT912) : W7, 900,600). I get the error - W7 not a valid family parameter. ???? Think it may be in the way I am expressing W7(PT912) : W7 within the formula.

Not sure how to get around this, its my first time trying this.

Also how would i be able to force only one of the yes/no boxes to be selected at a time.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: wesleyf

The formula is invalid because the condition to evaluate is a family type parameter. That is not allowed. Alternatives: make the necessary combination of values in one type, (including family type and length values), then, create a new type in the family and set these values again for that type, etc...

It is possible to use family types in formulas, but not in this way. But with a combination of more family type parameters, but that does not apply for this case.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
wesleyf
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks a ton for the reply.

I am not sure I follow your Alternative??? Care to elaborate a tad, example:......

Sorry but it is Sunday, brain not quite awake yet...

Thanks

Message 4 of 11
wesleyf

Ok hold the phone.....

I have already done what i think you are suggesting.... there are seven types in this family each with their own setting and family type.

I want to be able to lock the window width and height parameters so they cannot be changed in project independantly of the nested family. If i select the lock tick boxes it over onstraints the model????

Any ideas on the yes no boxes?

Ta

Message 5 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

Set the "window type", "window width", and "window height" parameters to their correspondent values for the current type that you are configuring. Then, go to the next type, and configure different values, and so on...

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 11

For the yes/no parameters, see my post at the end of this other thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Revit-MEP/IF-THEN-Formula-and-Yes-No-Parameter/m-p/2662720/highlight/t...

Message 7 of 11
wesleyf

Thanks,

Think the yes/ no solution will work for me.

Any idea on how to make window width and window height locked of uneditable for each type.?

Message 8 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

Maybe by using another parameter, such as integer that indicates window type. Then, the width and height will be driven by the value of that integer. Such as: if (window type id = 1, 900, if (window type id = 2, 700, ....

Message 9 of 11
wesleyf

I will give it a bash and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the time.

I will revert back upon finding a solution.

Message 10 of 11
pointgreen

I am just guessing... try using " " quotaion marks on the name of the window type i.e. if(Window Type =
"W7(PT912)" : W7, 900,600

Message 11 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: pointgreen

Same answer as post # 2 above. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report