Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't Curtain Wall Mullions properly miter?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Spiritshifterus
6701 Views, 6 Replies

Why won't Curtain Wall Mullions properly miter?

Greetings, all. I'm working in Autodesk Revit 2013, just trying to learn whatever I can. And right now, I'm looking at curtain wall mullions.

For the life of me, I cannot get the mullions to miter together properly. What I have is a situation (within a sample project from Revit OOTB) where on a curtain wall, the lower horizontal mullion and originating end vertical mullion do miter at their corner. The curtain wall is attached to the floor decks below and above. However, nowhere else will other horizontal and vertical edge mullions on the grid miter together for a smooth junction. I fail to see how Autodesk themselves can get only one corner out of 4 to work properly, and furthermore, let this program out on the market with such a nerve-wracking anomaly within their product.

I've been working on a saved-as copy of one of Autodesk's sample projects. Does anyone know what is going on here, and how to get mullions to work properly, consistently? Apparently, Autodesk doesn't, for their help menus are helpless.

Christopher Martin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

If you are referring to mitering a corner between two perpendicular curtain wall elements, there are some ways to deal with that. If you are referring to the corners of one curtain wall itself mitering corners in elevation view, that's something else, which is not provided by default. Which of these two things are you talking about? Can you provide an image of the desired result in plan view and other views?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7

Dear Mr. Medina,

I've attached a JPEG of what I see happening in my revit work (note, the file that this image came from is Autodesk-originated. It's from a pre-supplied sample project). This is a section view that shows a curtain wall in the background. The mullions are in green, and the wall is attached to the top and bottom floor decks. Note the bottom corner, where the horizontal and vertical mullions are mitered. However, the top corner you can clearly see that the horizontal mullion butts against the vertical, but does not miter together into a clean junction. Yes, all of these mullions are parts of the same curtain wall element. This is not showing the corner junction of two walls.

Thank you.

Chris Martin

Message 4 of 7

The default presentation of mullions in elevation in Revit is as shown in the upper portion of this illustration, with the verticals going through, and the horizontals in segments in between the verticals, since that is the most common construction. This is what you get by default. There is an option at the end of each mullion, to change the way it intersects with another mullion. However, there is not an option for erasing the seams between a vertical and a horizontal, at the corners of the curtain wall. What you showed in your image was probably done using the Linework tool with invisible linetype, twice, at that seam, which is what I did in the image shown in the lower portion of this illustration. Notice how I also toggled the way some mullions intersect with each other. Everytime you create a new curtain wall, the seams between verticals and horizontals will be visible, and if you want to hide them, you need to use the linework tool.

2-13-2013 5-19-54 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 7

Dear Mr. Medina,

I like the sound of your invisible line type, though I do not know how to create such a type. However, in the instance of the wall I sent an image of, you are incorrect about the way the lower corner was mitered. Please let me explain.

Two things appear to be happening on my wall. First, the vertical edge of the wall I show is where the wall was started from (the origin point). And second, the wall is attached to the floor element below and to the floor slab of the next level above (when I select the wall, there's a "Modify|Walls" tab on the ribbon, with the command "Attach Top/Base". This is how the wall is attached to the floors). Furthermore, when I detached the wall ("Detach Top/Base" command), Revit popped up a warning that the lower mullions could not be created since the grid line no longer exists. I've attached an image showing this. Then, as I recreate mullions down below, the new mullions will not miter.

Also, just now I had tried to create a brand new curtain wall and performed the attachments. When I did so, both the upper and lower corners of the origin side did miter, but failed to miter at either corner of the opposite end of the wall.

Thank you for all of your help. If you can find out more, I would appreciate it. Also, would you please show me how to create an invisible linetype?

Chris Martin

Message 6 of 7

Well, the invisible linetype is not something you need to create. It's there already. In the Modify tab > View panel > Linework tool > from the pull down menu select invisible and click on a model line.

About the error: it is not necessary to attach the bottom of the curtain wall to the floor below, because by default the floor below is the Base constraint. Attaching and detaching the bottom might have caused the lower mullion to be deleted. You might want to attach the top, yes, but that is not absolutely necessary either; you can do that with Top constraint (upper level) and Top offset (minus the thickness of the slab).

Message 7 of 7
LinasL
in reply to: Spiritshifterus

Is there a way to make mullions cut by 45 degrees in corners from elevation view? Masking does not fit here, because it is going to be used for scheduling. Any suggestions on that? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report