Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why My Revit 2014 is very slow?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
imk231
1274 Views, 7 Replies

Why My Revit 2014 is very slow?

My Revit 2014 is very slow. Previous Revit 2012 worked fine. But I needed latest to open others student's files. I also have Google Sketchup, AutoCAD they work pretty fast. But in Revit if I select something or zoom out time donut displays for 3-5 seconds.  Please help me.

Thank you,

Iroda

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rosskirby
in reply to: imk231

It could be any number of things.  Please post the specs of your computer (OS, processesor, graphics card, RAM) and I'd be glad to make some observations.  Also, when you say "slow," are you referring to any specific task (panning, zooming, creating walls, creating doors, etc.), or is everything consistently slow (from opening the project to manipulating model elements)?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 8
imk231
in reply to: rosskirby

rosskirby,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I use Revit a lot for Studio
Projects at the University. Computer information is:
Windows 7 Home premium,
*Processor*: Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10 GHz.
*RAM*: 4.00GB
*System type*: 64-bit operating system
*Graphics card information*:
Name:Intel(R) HD Graphics family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation,
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics family,
Approx. Total Memory: 1696 MB
Current display mode: 1366x768(32bit)(60Hz)

In Revit 2014 of this computer, everything is very slow.Starting up Revit
takes normal time. But after I choose to open any project, it is slow.
Including any commands, which moving from Level to level, dimentioning or
pan or any other commands it just gets stuck every 5 second, and it is very
irritating.
If we could solve this problem, it would be awesome.

Thank you so much.

--
*Iroda Karimova*
Message 4 of 8
rosskirby

Sorry to tell you this, but you've got a couple of problems.  For one, you're i3 processor is a little on the slow side.  I'd recommend at least an i7, and the higher the speed, the better.  Also, 4 GB of RAM is nowhere near enough.  You're going to need at least 8, although I'd recommend 16.  Also, it sounds like you're using the onboard Intel graphics card, which just isn't going to cut it.  If you have a laptop, then you're out of luck.  If you've got a PC tower, then you can add a graphics card.  Doesn't really matter which one, but try and find one with 2GB of onboard RAM.

To break it down, the processor and RAM handle most of the modeling tasks (creating walls, editing schedules, etc.), while the graphics card handles things like panning, zooming, refreshing views, etc..  Sorry for the bad news, but hopefully you're using a school computer, and can let them know that their machines are not up to the task of running Revit.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 8
damo3

Yeah, completely agree with Ross. Revit isn't slow, it's your machine. I wouldn't even give that thing to an administrator using word processing. I am surprised Revit 2012 ran on that to a standard you seemed to have been happy with. 

Upgrading to 2015 will also help marginally. They have made some performance enhancments which I have noticed. It just feels a little zippier at the cursor. 

These are the recommended specs for Revit 2014. Starting from minimum entry level to performance. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 6 of 8
imk231
in reply to: damo3

Thank you so much for your answers, rosskirby and damo3, Now I realize my computer is not capable enough. 

Buying new computer would be too unexpected expense to a student like me. Yes it is a labtop, which I both need to use it in school and home.

I will also try installing Revit 2015, since demo3 told it can help hopefully.

I also learned from other posts that if I turn on "Hardware accelarator" it would work faster, it that true?

Thank you so much for helping,

Iroda

Message 7 of 8
imk231

Even if my computer is not that new. I wonder why most of my classmates still use their old laptops with flying Revit 2014,

When I turned off Hardware accelarator, I saw a message below,Do you think this messege is part of the problem?:

"Unknown Video card: The installed video card 'Intel(R) HD Graphics Family' has not been tested with Revit. You may continue to use Hardware Acceleration. If you experience graphics display issues, you should: - Turn off Hardware Acceleration"

So I turned it off, My revit is a little bit faster.

Does it have any bad effects on the projects that I start opening on?

Thank you very much for your help,

Iroda

Message 8 of 8
rosskirby

Hi Iroda.

Turning off hardware acceleration could help a little bit, but it will make some things (ike panning, zooming, and some graphic modes) slower or completely unavailable.  With only an onboard graphics card, there's really not a whole lot you can do to boost the performance of your laptop.  For a decent laptop capable of running Revit as a student, you're looking in the neighborhood of $1200-$1700.  If you just want it for modeling, and have more powerful school computers available for rendering, then you would be on the low end of that range.  Otherwise, more money usually equals better performance (to a point).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report