Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Revit select things that are filtered out?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Keith_Wilkinson
317 Views, 5 Replies

Why does Revit select things that are filtered out?

Hopefully I'm just being stupid and missing something obvious here...

I have a view which uses filters to isoloate curtain walling on an elevation.  This serves several purposes but one of them is to make it easier for me to make amendments.  The trouble is when I'm tabbing through to get a grid line Revit also tabs through selection for elements that aren't visible in the view.

Please tell me there is a little setting somewhere to stop this happening or if not can someone please explain to me why I would want this kind of odd functionality?

cheers

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pmueller
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

i know this issue as well you can pin the Curtain walls and then select the "dont select pinned elements" options

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
Keith_Wilkinson
in reply to: pmueller

It seems odd behaviour to me - I mean why would I want to select something I can't see?  Surely it's the whole point of hiding it in the first place?

It seems 2013 doesn't have that particular option but I'll take a look later at 2015 and see if that helps although I'm not really sure I understand how it would...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 4 of 6

I'm not sure what your elevation looks like or what you have in them, but a combination of Filter and actually turning off elements in Visibility Graphics, or possible creating a View Template and applying that seems to work. If you are still having issues cut and paste a few elements and the curtain wall into a blank file and attach it here. The test file is in Revit 2014. 

Thanks for posting.

Message 5 of 6

I need to look into exactly what objects I'm able to select that aren't visible - I've run some more tests on simple models and it works as I would expect.  The main culprits seem to be openings in floors and walls as well as some curtain walling elements.  I'll hopefully get some time to explore it further this week and then I'll upload a sample file that highlights the issue.

cheers

K.

Maimonides
Message 6 of 6
L.Maas
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

I see this kind of behaviour sometimes in my own families.

I noticed most of the times this is because these families contains voids.

So it is not completely strange behaviour. As voids do not have a visibility setting you can not switch them off. So they are in the project, but not visible. That is why often you can select those families.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report