Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do void go crazy when copy and paste furniture between files?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cekuhnen
1164 Views, 5 Replies

why do void go crazy when copy and paste furniture between files?

Capture.PNG

further more when I click a void I cannot even turn the extrusion back into a normal solid - the void switch is missing

Capture.PNG

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
alan.quinn
in reply to: cekuhnen

I understand that voids are not working as expected in your Revit furniture family. Can you upload the family file and steps to re-produce. If you do not want to upload here I will email internally. Thanks for posting. 

Message 3 of 6
cekuhnen
in reply to: alan.quinn

here it is

when I copy only the shell and then only the legs

the voids get confused cut the wrong parts and undo the cut

will make the shell/leg solid then even disapear.

this is pretty user unfriendly when you do not know what happens

to your data and when there is no object browser.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 6
cekuhnen
in reply to: alan.quinn

any idea what is going on?

I find the void system more or less to be very unusable for a design process.

I ran so often now into the problem that when I uncut the solid from a void the solid just disappeared and the void remained.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: cekuhnen

When the option to switch the void to a solid does not appear, it means that the Void is cutting some object in the Family. If this Void appears orange, than it is not intersecting the object that it is assigned to cut. You will have to use the "Uncut" command, select the Void, and then move the cursor over the other extrusion and see which become highlighted, which indicates that that extrusion in being cut by the Void.

I think that when Void are copy/pasted from one Family to another, the Voids' "cutting assignments" are not preserved, and are recalculated as if the void was just created, or however else Revit decides.

cekuhnen wrote:
"...I ran so often now into the problem that when I uncut the solid from a void the solid just disappeared and the void remained."

Regarding this issue - I've seen it before, but I don't know of any remedy. I typically make sure that the objects are solid extrusions before I copy them, and then change them to Void and assign the cutting afterwards.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
cekuhnen
in reply to: CoreyDaun

the problem is when I copy and paste and then try to uncut the solids go away more often than not.

Thats why I made the comment that the void system is great when you create a form - but editing (undo) or transfering (copy paste) in Revit is 99% of the times I do it pointless because of how badly the tool operates.

I quite honestly stunned they do not fix this.

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report