Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I make a ceiling?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
10216 Views, 5 Replies

Why can't I make a ceiling?

I'm having trouble making a ceiling in a house. I have another project - an apartment building - where I don't have any trouble making ceilings. I go to Ceiling Plans in the project browser and click on 3rd floor, for example. I click the Ceiling button, point to one of the suites and get a red outline created by the Automatic Ceiling tool. I click and get a matrix representing the ceiling. So why doesn't this work in the house I'm building? Within Ceiling Plans, I have Main Floor and 2nd Floor. If I click on 2nd Floor, click the Ceiling button and point to a bedroom, the mouse pointer changes to a black circle with a line through it. I don't get the red outline for where the ceiling will go. So I clicked Sketch Ceiling to create it manually. I used Pick Walls, Pick Lines, Line, and Rectangle. After creating the outline of the ceiling I clicked the check mark to save it. I did not get an error message but there was no matrix representing the ceiling. So I created it again and got an error that there was now a double instance of something - the ceiling? Well, if there's a ceiling there, why is there no matrix? If there's a ceiling, why can't I install a ceiling light? When I try to install a ceiling light, I just get the black circle with the line through it. I don't have any trouble installing ceiling lights in the apartment building.

Whether I'm in the apartment building or the house, properties looks the same when I try to make the ceiling. The name of the ceiling is 2' x 4' ACT System. Next to Level it shows the level I selected under Ceiling Plans. Height Offset From Level is 8' and Room Bounding is checked. There's no difference here between the apartment building and the house. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Place a camera in the room and see if the ceiling shows up in 3D.

Cut a Section and see if the  ceiling is there.

It could be your View Range in the 2nd Floor Ceiling Plan needs adjustment.

Make sure Ceiling Category is on in VG.

If it is a workset enabled project, make sure the workset is turned on/visible.

cheers

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I had same problem. After much trial and error, I changed the wall height to 8'-1". Ceiling heights and Lt. fixtures by default are set at 8'-0" to bottom of ceiling. Add 1/2" for gyp. bd. the ceiling is looking for walls at least 8'-1/2" high. In const I always use 8'-1" as framing ht. After that adjustment the ceiling routine and light fixt placement routines worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

There would be more than one way to do what you said. I thought the elevation view would be the place to change it so I changed the 2nd Floor height to 8'1". Now I see a ceiling over the dining room. I then changed the roof height to 16' 2". Now I have ceilings throughout the 2nd floor. I deleted them and put them back with the automatic ceiling tool just to see that it works and it's fine so the 2nd floor is fine now. The main floor wouldn't cooperate though. I have a ceiling over the dining room as I said but I can't add a ceiling anywhere else. I set the 2nd Floor height to 8'6" to see what would happen and I still can't add anymore ceilings on the main floor...using the automatic tool. So I added them manually and they showed up fine, except for in the stairs. I made a ceiling for the foyer in front of the stairs and I included the shaft for the stairs in that ceiling. The ceiling appears in the foyer but not in the shaft for the stairs. If I select the ceiling and click "Edit Boundary", I get the pink outline for the ceiling and it includes the shaft for the stairs. So at this point Revit knows the shaft for the stairs is to be included in this ceiling but the matrix isn't displayed there. It just stops when it reaches the shaft. This means I can't add a ceiling light to the staircase. So part of Revit knows the shaft is part of the ceiling but the other part says "Screw it, I'm not doing it." What the hell? 🙂 Well it's not a big deal if I can't add a light there, but I'd like to understand the problem and also why I had to make the main floor ceilings manually. it's a lot better now than it was. Thanks a lot. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

As a novice with little experience with shafts, not sure I fully undertand your problem nor able to help. Here are some thoughts: I assume the stairs on the second floor terminate into a hallway/corridor. If the ceiling at the stairs is the same height as the hall, the stair ceiling should be a continuation of the hall ceiling and not a seperate entity. If there is a difference in height, there should be a boundry such as a header or high partition seperating the ceilings. Check the restraints on the ceiling i.e. anchors, working on the second floor ceiling plane vs first floor and check for interference form floor and roof assemblies and wall heights. It all does sound screwy, nonetheless, good to know you've made some progress and good luck with the rest.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I have a problem with ceiling plan , I design 2 level story restaurant . I set wall top constriant up to roof plan! everything is good but, when I go to ceiling plan level 2 or roof  I can't see anythings  for making ceiling! I also make floor/roof for level one(0' 0") and  for level 2(10' 0") and make a flat roof on (12' 8"). I am useing revit 2012 architecture

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report