Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I get a Decal to Render

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
IMCornish
2282 Views, 11 Replies

Why can't I get a Decal to Render

I have a 3D (Camera View) of an interior where I have a number of picture frames placed on the walls.  Each frame has a painting 'Decal' and all but 1 render correctly leaving a blank frame.  Does anyone have any idea why this might happen?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

can you send a screenshot? or the file?

I suppose every frame family has also an extruded planar shape that fills the inside area and on which you will place the Decal.

When placing the Decal , be sure to place it on the right plane (mentioned above) and , after placing, strech the border of the decal by clinking on its border and draging to scale it down or up so to let a blank border to be shown.

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 12

Happy to post the file but it is 28mb, but here is a screnshot of the 3D view:

decal.png

The pictures in the background render correctly whilst the one in the foreground does not.  I have looked at the placement of the deacal on the frame, which is an 'out of the box' Revit family and can see a small differance, see diagrams below:

Decal 1.pngDiagram 1: Decal is on the surface of the frame and does not appear when rendered.

Decal 2.png Diagram 2: Decal appears slightly further back and appears when rendered, though the differance is so small I am at a loss to think why it should make a differance.

The frame family has a part called a backer (your extruded planar shape) which seems to me to be the place where the decal should be and which is further back into the frame but the placing of a decal seems to be very haphazard and sometimes affixes itself to the wall behind.

Can you explain further what you mean by 'placing it on the right plane', do you mean the 'correct' plane as opposed to the 'right' one?  As mentioned this seems to be very difficult.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 12

when placing Decals, usualy I do it in a 3d axonometric View ( a 3 d Section Box ) . I try their to identify  the surface on which to place the Decal . It's easy to place it on a background face and in this situation the Decal will be obturate by another face...Try zooming in the area of placement..

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 12

Constantin, I am still struggling.  Have created a 3D Ortho view and sectioned it to get to see the frame and wall surface but still no joy.  Have looked closer at the junction between the picture frame and the wall by scaling up a floor plan to 1:1 and it appears that the wall based 'picture frame' family is sunk into the wall!!  However the 'backer' part of the frame still appears to have its face above the wall face level whilst the deacl still appears to attach itself to the wall face.  I am reluctant to edit the 'otb' picture frame family but havr a look at this image:

Decal 3.pngWhat do you think?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 6 of 12

Are sure that the Option :Select Underlay Elements is off?

Image 01.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 12

I have never used 'Select Underlay Elements' before so you have taught me something thank you.Smiley Happy  Having said that though, I can't see that switching it on or off makes any differance to my problem and am now more inclined to think that it has something to do with the 'picture frame' family which is designed on a 152mm wide wall.  The walls in my project where the decals render correctly are only 150mm wide, whereas the wall where it does not work correctly is over 230mm.  I have come accross this problem before but sadly can't remember the context or solution.  Maybe you can? Smiley Indifferent  

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 8 of 12

can you send the pcture frame family ? is it a Wall Based  or a Face Based Family?

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 9 of 12

Herewith the Picture Frame family, metric version which comes with Revit 2014.  Wall based I believe.

Included at :C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\Libraries\UK\Generic Models

Thanks again

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 10 of 12

I've made some changes .It must work now.

Look at the attached file....A is the original file and B is the new oneImage 001.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

Thank you very much Constantin, I 'm sure this is going to work but unfortunatelly I am unable to test it out because now I have a problem where Revit is telling me that my 'Render Apperance Images' are missing - or rather the dialog is headed 'RaaS - Render in Cloud'!  Have tried a local render and the decals show up fine.

Makes me wonder why the Cloud is missbehaving now?!

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 12 of 12
IMCornish
in reply to: IMCornish

I have discovered the reason for the problem;
Somehow the decal file names had been translated, I presume by Revit, and had had the capital letter at the beginning of their names changed to a lower case version! The Cloud then looking for a file name beginning with a lower case letter could not find them!
Would love to know how this happened?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report