Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which is best for architecture revit or 3ds max????

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
gems91
33093 Views, 22 Replies

which is best for architecture revit or 3ds max????

I m in architecture field  and i hav learned revit 2011, so is 3ds max more efficient then revit...if yes then from where i can get tutorials for learning 3ds max..........pls help

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
LisaDrago
in reply to: gems91

If you are specifically looking at Architecture - Revit is the best.

3ds Max is suggested for rendering - but to create a building - and have construction documents... Revit all the way.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 23
gems91
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thx a lot Sent from my Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman
Message 4 of 23
parveen.revit

3ds Max could be a good supplement to Revit work but can't replace it.

For Architecture, Revit is perfect (in compare to 3ds max at least) and it can generate excellent results for concept modeling, constructions documentation, Bills of Quantities and 3ds max could supplement it with taking it to next level of renderings, walk throughts etc.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 5 of 23
gems91
in reply to: parveen.revit

Thx a lot..
Message 6 of 23
Akdas00
in reply to: LisaDrago

i am a diploma eng. student.i want to know that is there any biggest job market for autodesk revit? is it most important to know that? what should i do for my future engneering career.

Message 7 of 23
diego.santos

Revit is a solution for the whole project, from its initial conception the most advanced stage (outline the work). 3ds max is a solution for 3D modeling, animation and rendering. Ie, depends on the purpose you will use if you need 3d model of the building analyzes, generate documentation ... 2d you recommend Revit. Now if your need is to produce an image or animation major impact, I recommend you 3ds max.

Message 8 of 23
tusharshirke98

Which is the best software for 3d of Bunglows or buildings.. .and which software gives Better presentation to the client.. ....3ds Max or revit architecture
Message 9 of 23
L.Maas
in reply to: tusharshirke98

A question like this is something that can not be answered properly. It is like asking what is better to paint a brush or a roller. The answer will be...it depends.

You should first define your problem. What is it you need/want to do or what does your client need. If you have a clear understanding of the needs than you can start to look for the tools that will solve your problems. 

Maybe you end up with the conclusion that a sketch pad and a pencil will be enough.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 10 of 23
gems91

Revit is best
Message 11 of 23
FGPerraudin

Use 3DS max for 3D rendering, 

Revit for design.

The difference?

Revit is made for architecture, and will provide with every single tool you need to design a good building.

THEN use the bridge to 3DS max for rendering.

As a proof of concept, The building design suite includes an integrated workflow Revit> 3DS max with a bridge.

When you use it, the model is almost ready to render in 3DS!

Take the best of both!

Francois-Gabriel Perraudin
BIM management and coaching

Message 12 of 23
BillL909
in reply to: FGPerraudin

Just so I understand, how does the Revit > 3ds Max workflow work?  I am gaining much experience in designing homes in Revit, but only have a minimal experience in 3ds Max, and I've never used the two programs in conjunction with each other. Can 3ds Max go above and beyond the Revit rendering tools in a way that makes it worthwhile for architectural design?  How much extra work does this entail?  Aren't the rendering tools in Revit good enough for architectural designs?  Will 3ds Max provide a major improvement in some way? Any input on this subject would be helpful, thanks,

Message 13 of 23
L.Maas
in reply to: BillL909

3DS Max is much more a visualisation and animation tool. So yes you definitely can expect higher quality renderings. 3DS Max is not an easy program so you have to expect to put in quite some effort to get to know the program. In general you also can say that it will take more time to get a render. You probably will spend time on adding things to the scene to get a better composition and if you want to take it further you will spend more times on getting details right. How much work it does entail is impossible to say. It depends on what kind of work you are going to do in 3DS.

If the Revit tools are good enough for renderings is up to you and your clients to decide.

Have a look at the article in AECMagazine with some examples.

A good quote from the article

"Through our experience with BIM we have found that you only get out what you put in."

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 14 of 23
softwareanwar

Hai to All Design Engineers 

I am a B.Tech Civil engineer i loved those two software

For changing the field from site to design i chosen those two softwares 

I had completed Revit Architecture successfully and eagerly waiting for 3ds max 

In industry both important. 

Message 15 of 23
alok.pathak

Revit is the best..... (as others also said the same)

and if you want to get tutorial of revit or 3d max, please let me know. ~ alok.pathak@capricot.com 

Message 16 of 23
cool007bhai
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi there!!

I have been using Revit for past 4 months, and find it quite difficult to make complex free flow/ organic forms in it. Would 3ds max be helpful in such cases?

What if Heydar Aliyev Center, Baku was to be modeled, could it be done with either of the two?

thanks

Message 17 of 23
-FDC-

This is the same as asking if autocad is better than 3DSmax.

Totally different products for totally different things.

Revit is intended for construction (how to construct the building)

3Ds max is for show (for making nice pictures or animations, to sell the building)

3DsMax is better for presentations but if you model your building in 3DS max you are stuck in 3DS max, you cannot make construction plans.

In Revit you have an "intelligent" model.

You can make construction plans and if you want a better presentation you can export the Revit model to 3DsMAx and render it there.

Or in Vray for Revit but if you want animations you export to 3DSmax.

Message 18 of 23
ToanDN
in reply to: cool007bhai

@cool007bhai wrote:

Hi there!!

I have been using Revit for past 4 months, and find it quite difficult to make complex free flow/ organic forms in it. Would 3ds max be helpful in such cases?

What if Heydar Aliyev Center, Baku was to be modeled, could it be done with either of the two?

thanks

Your question is different than the thread's question so feel free to start you own thread.

Message 19 of 23
1475sachinsingh

Autodesk Revit is best for architecture designing and it is a building information modeler (BIM). Revit Architecture interface is designed to simplify your workflow. It can generate excellent results for concept modeling, construction documentation, Bills of quantities.

3Ds Max is highly recommended for rendering and it is a 3D Modeling tool. 3Ds Max is a professional 3D animation rendering and modeling application. It could supplement it by taking it to the next level of rendering, walkthrough, etc.

click here for more details:- DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AUTODESK REVIT AND 3DS MAX

Message 20 of 23
parveen.revit

3ds Max is quickly becoming obsolete.
Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report