Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
RudyBeuc
Message 1 of 3 (155 Views)

Which Family Template?

155 Views, 2 Replies
06-23-2011 12:43 PM

I'm trying to make a family of dimensional lumber types that I can use to depict framing within a wall, casework, and/or other built in objects. There is also a goal of being able to produce a lumber schedule for said objects.

What would be the best family template to start with?

I've tried the generic model and the structural member ones, but with those I'm not able to place the components in a section or elevation view, nor am I able to rotate them, say like from a beam to a stud. 

Thinking of trying the line based model one next, but thought I'd ask before spinning my wheels again.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Mentor
mike
Message 2 of 3 (153 Views)

Re: Which Family Template?

06-23-2011 12:53 PM in reply to: RudyBeuc

Rudy,  I'd try the "Structural Framing" Columns for the Studs, and Beams for Headers, Plates, soles, etc.

Mike.

You may also want to download and install the Extensions for 2012 as it has a Wall Framing addin that may help also.

M

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
Building Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Valued Contributor
RudyBeuc
Message 3 of 3 (137 Views)

Re: Which Family Template?

06-24-2011 05:30 AM in reply to: mike

Thanks for replying.

I guess that the problem with this approach is that I'll be framing and trimming out built in furniture with components that are meant to hold the building up. Or in another instance, framing out a wall with objects that are supposed to be primary structural components.

I guess that really shouldn't matter but......

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.