Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Family Template?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
RudyBeuc
227 Views, 2 Replies

Which Family Template?

I'm trying to make a family of dimensional lumber types that I can use to depict framing within a wall, casework, and/or other built in objects. There is also a goal of being able to produce a lumber schedule for said objects.

What would be the best family template to start with?

I've tried the generic model and the structural member ones, but with those I'm not able to place the components in a section or elevation view, nor am I able to rotate them, say like from a beam to a stud. 

Thinking of trying the line based model one next, but thought I'd ask before spinning my wheels again.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
VWD-MLM
in reply to: RudyBeuc

Rudy,  I'd try the "Structural Framing" Columns for the Studs, and Beams for Headers, Plates, soles, etc.

Mike.

You may also want to download and install the Extensions for 2012 as it has a Wall Framing addin that may help also.

M

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 3
RudyBeuc
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Thanks for replying.

I guess that the problem with this approach is that I'll be framing and trimming out built in furniture with components that are meant to hold the building up. Or in another instance, framing out a wall with objects that are supposed to be primary structural components.

I guess that really shouldn't matter but......

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report