Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the practical (Archi Firm) scenario for using Linked Files vs Worksets?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
PDHStudentOfWisdom
346 Views, 1 Reply

What is the practical (Archi Firm) scenario for using Linked Files vs Worksets?

I note that there is a difference between using the Linked File versus the Workset scenario and both can be used simultaneously. Why would a person choose one over the other?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

We use linked files to break a project down along discipline lines (each discipline - Architectural/Interiors, Structural, HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Electrical) will have their own file and link in the files of the other disciplines.  This helps to limit the number of simultaneous users in any one file, as well as keeping people out of the work of other disciplines.  We will also use separate, linked files for outside consultant's work, adjacent, existing buildings and site model, where these are part of a project.

We have also had at least one project that had multiple, nearly identical wings, in which one model was created and then linked into the main model with multiple instances placed, one for each wing.

Workset use is probably less clearly defined (or at least varies more from project to project).  Each linked file gets its own workset, with the idea that you could then avoid loading any given linked file by not loading that workset.  This can be especially handy when upgrading a project to a newer release, in that you do not have to wait for Revit to temporarily upgrade each linked file.  In my mind, any other use of Worksets should be to segregate portions of the work that can be clearly defined and that would not need to be loaded for certain defined tasks AND where not loading that workset would provide a significant performance boost while performing those defined tasks.  In general, I find people want to create far more Worksets than are ever practically used, and any time savings due to increased performance achieved by not loading uneeded Worksets is lost in the effort required to keep everything in the appropriate Workset, and correcting the Workset of items where that effort was not made.  Others may disagree with me (perhaps they work with more detail-oriented colleagues than I do), so you will want to get more than just my response on this.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report