Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between these two settings for layers of a wall?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JamaL9722060
692 Views, 4 Replies

I’m wondering what might be the effect of layering a particular wall in the two cases shown in the screenshots below (are they the same?):

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Clip_62.jpg

Clip_63.jpg

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I would suggest you to go through some initial tutorials.

It is well defined that any layer within Core Boundaries (grey lines) is the core structure of wall.

Any layer outsite the core bounday is finish (Exterior finish on top side and Interior Finish on bottom side).

A further detailed description is written in the tutorials.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 3 of 5

Many thanks for the answer.

This is quite obvious for me. My question is about the effect of having a particular layer as core or not! What are the consequences?

In my previous screenshots, the wall has the same layers with same functions! The layers are only different whether they are core or not! What is the effect of that? Could you give me just one example?

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
Message 4 of 5
loboarch
in reply to: JamaL9722060

The realtionship of where a layer is related to the "core" of the wall is really not critical.  The primary reason it is there is to allow for the use of "prefer" settings when dimensioning and selecting walls, and to help with layout by being able to define the wall justification to the "core" of the wall.  On a wall designated as "structural" if may have an effect on where the analitical line of the wall is created.  I am nto totally sure about that however because I do not often work withthe analitical structural model. 

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 5
JamaL9722060
in reply to: loboarch

That is great as a clue!

Selection, dimensioning, lay out and analytical line, etc are affected by the classifying the layers of the wall as core or not.

Despite the fact that I don’t know exactly how these items are affected by layer classifications (as core or not) but sounds to be logic.

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report