Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the difference between RAC lighting fixture and MEP lighting fixtures

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1920 Views, 7 Replies

what is the difference between RAC lighting fixture and MEP lighting fixtures

I see lighting family exists in two folders: architectural and MEP. Both of the two folders has electrical information of lightign fixture.

Which one should I used ? Thanks, 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

there is no essential difference...

The entitIes from architecture menu is thinked to be used by architects and it is in a simplified form ( without calculation support ) the MEP entity is thinked to be used by electrical-mecanical engineers and it is more developed on this specific functions.

Lighting Fixtures are entities that are controled both by architect and mechanical engineers, that"s why they appears in both menus.

The same case with the structural entities that are used both by architects and structural engineers ...they appear in both menus.

It is a posibility to deactivate the MEP menu and in this case you still have the option in architecture menu

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
constantin.stroescu

from Application Menu (big R) > Optons >User Interface>Configure Tools and Analyses > you can select what menus you want: for architect, structural engineer or mechanical engineer....This is in case of Revit 2013 and Revit 2014, where all the specialities are together....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Thank boht of your help.

Message 5 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

There is an important difference: the host. Lighting fixtures in the Architectural folder are ceiling based, and those in the MEP folder are face based. That alone, creates some other differences. This is a comparison that I made some time ago for a post in another forum:

5-5-2013 12-34-31 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 8

for  Alfredo,

I took a look on your comparison table between Architectural and MEP.

Being an architect , I do not work in MEP and I do not know much about it, but from my experience in using Architectural Build>Component > Place a Component > Lighting Fixture (loaded from various sources or even some made by myself) , my feeling is that you were a little bit unfair in this comparison.

You made a comparison between ceiling-based light fixture wich is only one of the types of light fixtures and a face based type that is obviously more flexible.....You forgot to mention in your table the other two types (that use family template: Lighting Fixture and Lighting Fixture Wall Based) ...these two types answer  to your  no 8 row point (can be placed on walls, floors, roofs)...

Insertion mode, by my observations depends mainly by the family template used by people that made the Lighting fixtures..

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

Yes, the comparison is only between the ceiling-based lighting fixtures (from Arch. library) and face-based lighting fixtures (MEP library). It is not about lighting fixtures in general from Arch vs. MEP because the other types, flor based, wall based, etc, don't have these differences.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 8

OK , then...from this point of view  you are right!

thanks!

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report