Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
Neil47
Message 1 of 6 (133 Views)

What is meant by the term "compatible"?

133 Views, 5 Replies
04-15-2013 03:26 AM

I have been asked to supply a survey "compatible to Revit".  If I am right in understanding what what I have read a DWG file is not truly compatible or at least it can be linked/imported but sending a file like that would leave the client with either not enough information or too much work to do and so is therefore not compatible.

Distinguished Mentor
Caddman13
Message 2 of 6 (126 Views)

Re: What is meant by the term "compatible"?

04-15-2013 04:08 AM in reply to: Neil47

A DWG can be linked or imported into Revit.  What I like to see when it comes to Surveys and Civil drawings is 3D contours and points.  This way I can create the site in Revit with the Revit tools.

I think you would be safe providing a DWG with 3D survey points and contours.

Hope this helps.

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 3 of 6 (113 Views)

04-15-2013 04:58 AM in reply to: Neil47

Cadman13 is right.

I would like to add some additional points  from my personal experience with survey CAD files:

• Draw different entities on different layers (Revit recognize CAD layers ...they can be hide or shown and also change colors)
  • Check your file not to have any frozen layers hidden somewhere far away from your subject   ( it happend offen in my case ) . It is preferable to make a cleaning of you file before delivering to the designer ...purge all anecessary items
  • Typicaly survey  X, Y coordinates are someware at a far, far distance from 0,0......When I work , I need 0,0 ...otherways importing CAD file will show error....In my case I do the operation of changing X,Y coordinates in .dwg file....I select a point from the drawing , apply ID to see its X,Y coordinates....then select All entities and Move (absolute not relative ) to 0,0. In order to make an absolute Move use # ( shift+3)prefix 
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
VOSO
Message 4 of 6 (92 Views)

04-15-2013 09:00 AM in reply to: Neil47

In my opinion you should explore IFC file format if your software provide that output.

IFC format is industry standard for data exchange, clash detection etc.

You can use DWG without any problems as far as I know too.

Regards

Distinguished Mentor
Caddman13
Message 5 of 6 (76 Views)

04-15-2013 10:06 AM in reply to: VOSO

VOSO wrote:

In my opinion you should explore IFC file format if your software provide that output.

IFC format is industry standard for data exchange, clash detection etc.

You can use DWG without any problems as far as I know too.

Regards

I have not had much success with IFC from any software.  DWG linked into Revit I get what I need every time.

My .02

Active Contributor
Neil47
Message 6 of 6 (59 Views)

04-15-2013 11:32 PM in reply to: Caddman13

Thanks for all the responses, do any of you know if Revit LT allows similar importing of surfaces from dwg files. This may be a medium term option for me so that I can test / supply data required for clients.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.