Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is meant by the term "compatible"?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Neil47
252 Views, 5 Replies

What is meant by the term "compatible"?

I have been asked to supply a survey "compatible to Revit".  If I am right in understanding what what I have read a DWG file is not truly compatible or at least it can be linked/imported but sending a file like that would leave the client with either not enough information or too much work to do and so is therefore not compatible.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jason_S
in reply to: Neil47

A DWG can be linked or imported into Revit.  What I like to see when it comes to Surveys and Civil drawings is 3D contours and points.  This way I can create the site in Revit with the Revit tools.

I think you would be safe providing a DWG with 3D survey points and contours.

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 6

Cadman13 is right.

I would like to add some additional points  from my personal experience with survey CAD files:

• Draw different entities on different layers (Revit recognize CAD layers ...they can be hide or shown and also change colors)
  • Check your file not to have any frozen layers hidden somewhere far away from your subject   ( it happend offen in my case ) . It is preferable to make a cleaning of you file before delivering to the designer ...purge all anecessary items
  • Typicaly survey  X, Y coordinates are someware at a far, far distance from 0,0......When I work , I need 0,0 ...otherways importing CAD file will show error....In my case I do the operation of changing X,Y coordinates in .dwg file....I select a point from the drawing , apply ID to see its X,Y coordinates....then select All entities and Move (absolute not relative ) to 0,0. In order to make an absolute Move use # ( shift+3)prefix 
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
VOSO
in reply to: Neil47

In my opinion you should explore IFC file format if your software provide that output.

IFC format is industry standard for data exchange, clash detection etc.

You can use DWG without any problems as far as I know too.

Regards

Message 5 of 6
Jason_S
in reply to: VOSO

@VOSO wrote:

In my opinion you should explore IFC file format if your software provide that output.

IFC format is industry standard for data exchange, clash detection etc.

You can use DWG without any problems as far as I know too.

Regards

I have not had much success with IFC from any software.  DWG linked into Revit I get what I need every time.

My .02

Message 6 of 6
Neil47
in reply to: Jason_S

Thanks for all the responses, do any of you know if Revit LT allows similar importing of surfaces from dwg files. This may be a medium term option for me so that I can test / supply data required for clients.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report