Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what drives the changes in these symbolic lines?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kwg06516
1180 Views, 5 Replies

what drives the changes in these symbolic lines?

I'm teaching myself how to build families by reverse engineering existing families.  I was looking at the double uneven door in preparation for making my own.

I can't tell what is resizing the symbolic lines in plan view when I change either the doorway width or the large panel width.  I built a single door with an appropriately sized rough opening but I had to add all kinds of reference planes and parameters to get the plan view symbolic lines to move correctly.  How did they do it in the double uneven, especially the small panel.  It doesn't seem to have any parameters aside from one formula.

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: kwg06516

It is subtle, but it´s simpler than it looks. In Revit, if "A" is constrained to "B", and "B" is constrained to "C", therefore "A" is constrained to "C".

In the case of a door swing: an arc needs a center point and a radius, no more. The center is at the intersection of a reference plane that is already constrained (Ref. plane "Left") and the face of the wall. The radius is at the intersection of another reference plane that is already constrained (Ref. plane "Center Left/Right), and the face of the wall. The distance between these two reference planes is already controlled by the "Width Large Panel" parameter. If the arc that represents the swing of the door goes in between these two intersections that are already constrained, no more parameters are needed for the swing to flex when these two reference planes are moved. Also, help yourself with the osnaps. It's not the same to indicate a point with an endpoint than with an intersection. In this case, draw the arc from intersection to intersection (SE to SE); that's good enough. 🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
kwg06516
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

On the first go around it failed.  Resizing the opening or the right hand panel would produce a set of constraint conflicts in the symbolic lines.  So I started a new model and tried not to constrain it with too many planes.  I drew the symbolic lines arcs first from center to strike to full extension of swing, locking all the padlocks.  Then I drew the door panel, this time as a rectangle, and left all the padlocks unlocked, and it worked perfectly.  Even though I didn't lock the door panel symbolic lines they move correctly when I resize the doorway.  Not sure if I understand why.

Thanks.

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Message 4 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

Notice that in my previous message, I don't recommend to use the pad locks for swing of the door.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6
kwg06516
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

You didn't refer to padlocks at all in your previous post. But if I do understand you simply snapping to an intersection of two parametricly driven planes using the intersection snap(Sl, not SE) is sufficient to constrain whatever is drawn from that point?

Thank you.

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Message 6 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

Exactly. The key is in the first sentence of  one my previous posts. If the swing is made from the intersection of other elements that are already constrained, there is no need to lock them again. That actually creates an "overconstraint".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report