Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

way to show utilites (gas, electric)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
HVAC-Novice
1229 Views, 4 Replies

way to show utilites (gas, electric)

Based on civil Plans (done by someone else in Microstation) I want to show the utilities (water, gas, electric etc.) in my model. i only need to show it as symbolic lines and trace the DWG from the Civil engineer. I want to show the existing, dem'd and new ones.

I though I can just create some model lines. but I don't seem to be able to easily make them visible or not in all the views. Is there a way to create a line-subcategory (i.e. utility) that I can easily turn off? In theory i could

I could just create  bunch of new line styles (i.e. Utility-Water), but it would be a pain to turn off multiple line styles in all my view templates.

Or is there some entirely better way to show utilities? Again, i don't need them in 3D, or actual size etc. they only need to be schematic. I want to just trace them in the one view where i dump all the Civil engineering linked DWG and then enable them in my other views at will.

For example in the landscaping plan I want to see utilities so I don't plant trees over them etc.

There doesn't seem to be a way to create a filter to exclude certain lines. I tried to use pipes and create a utility pipe type, but there doesn't seem to be a way to not show specific pipe types and I also like to color the utilities (i.e. red for electric, orange for data etc.)

Revit version: R2024.2
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

You could create a new workset for your utilities, with "Visible in all views" unticked. Then create your line styles for each of the different utilities and place your model lines, and just turn the workset on in the views that you want them displayed.

Message 3 of 5

You could just use their file, turn off (or delete them within Revit) all the "irrelevant" layers (using Visibility/Graphics). You could create your own copy of their file and strip out everything but those and then just link that version. Tracing over their lines could require revision at some point. It might be easier to just reload a new version later?

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 4 of 5
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the reply to both of you. I had never really sued worksets actively. but i learned how to do that, reassigned the "utilities" to a new workset that I "hide" in the views not relating to utilities.

The using of the original DWG-layers didn't really work for me since the Civil plans are too busy, and don't have colors I like (they don't really bid with colors, whereas I use colors) and also have their fonts and symbols etc. that doesn't look as clean. So for the architectural plans i rahter make them nice and clean like my regular format. The Civil portion is bid under a different contract... I'm just showing what there is and needs to be coordinated with that contractor.

Again, thanks to both of you. Every day I learn something new about this great software.

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 5 of 5

Glad you've sorted things out.

Fwiw, you can import the DWG using the "Current view only" option so it only shows up in that view. No managing of it elsewhere. You can also override the layers appearance using Visibility/Graphics so they have the line color and/or pattern you want instead.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report