Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warnings In Revit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
prdsinfo
2626 Views, 5 Replies

Warnings In Revit

Hi,

Is there any specific rule for Number of warnings in revit file and when more than 50 nos warnings it harm the model file??.

There are diffrent suggessions and standards from blogs.

I would like to know a specfic answer on this.

Regards

Prasad

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: prdsinfo

I do not think you will get a definitive answer on this.  A lot will depend upon the nature of the warnings.  Some inform you of a situation that is not good, and while it may not require immediate correction, eventually it should be fixed.  You will not want many of these to accumulate, as it will affect model performance, even if no actual "harm" befalls the model.

There are other warnings that inform you of things Revit considers incorrect, but which, for your purposes, are just fine.  Unfortunately, there is no way to tell Revit, "Thanks for the heads up, but that is the way I need it to be on this project, please do not continue to track this issue."  So these will accumulate, but should not cause any harm.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
damo3

I was trained with best practice being; 1 warning for every 1mb of file size. ie: 50mb file, no more than 50 warnings. 

I spend about an hr a week addressing warnings on projects so they don't build. However, its easier to go OCD with monitoring them so I tend to only address the important ones. for example, any warnings regarding duplicate marks or type marks i get on to straight away, as they have the potential to effect schedule data. I also address quickly 'slightly of axis' warnings as they build quickly from staff offsetting and aligning.

the easy ones like 'attach to but miss the target' warnings i address as i work, but tend not to worry too much. usually only a problem if someone clicked yes to attach all walls to floors. I monitor warnings though to help me with training as well. They can be telling to staff workflows and shortcuts taken that can be improved.

Warnings affect model performance if they get out of hand, so keep it in check and you should be fine. 150mb file i came into once had over 900 warnings, which is ridiculous. The model was extremely slow, and the thought of addressing 600-700 warnings is not practical on a project schedule.

Like the post above mentioned, some warnings you know about, but its how you want things in the model. i do agree in not being able to acknowledge these warnings and not be told of them again is a shortfall. 

hope it helps.  

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 6
prdsinfo
in reply to: damo3

Thanks For the reply.

Regarding duplicate marks we cant avoid these warnings,We have same element mark (Beam ,Column ...etc) on diffrent locations..

Also there are thousands of warnings in most of the models from the leaders of the industry.

So if Autodesk can say some thing on this will be great!!

Thanks

Prasad

Message 5 of 6
damo3

Prasad, I would recommend using a custom project parameter in lieu of the mark or type mark for your particular situation that is delivering you duplicate values. We do a similar thing in our office for door types. 

Hope it helps. 

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 6 of 6
SteveKStafford

Fewer is better. I focus on errors that affect calculations and documentation accuracy first. Room area issues like overlapping walls, room separation lines, redundant rooms, etc. Elements that are duplicates in the same place affect documentation accuracy, schedule counts for example. If you submit a file to Autodesk for support and it has several hundred warnings they tell you that you should reconcile those to see if it helps. The more there are the more you should work to eliminate them.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report