Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walls - structural or architectural for linked files ?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
MKEllis
212 Views, 1 Reply

Walls - structural or architectural for linked files ?

We have been working on a project in isolation for the last couple of months (largely as a test-bed for Revit). We have finally pursuaded the structural engineer to take the plunge with Revit, and have been setting up linked files. 

One issue that has come out is the classification of walls that were inserted in the architectural model - they do not appear to have been identified as 'structural' elements - not even the structural layer of the wall. These were obviously placed as architectural walls. Odd thing is, the windows in the linked architectural model appear by default on the structural file - although I guess this is just a Visibility Graphics thing.

We have been trying to find out what the best practice is in this instance to avoid any repeating of work.

We are not so bothered by the current project as it is mainly a test bed, but we are interested in finding the best practice.

Is it expected that the structural engineer remodel the structural part of the walls, or can that specific wall layer (or whole wall) be extracted and identified as a structural element in his file ? I know that the linked element cannot be edited from the structural side, but can it be used in any analytical way ? (Copy Monitor ?).

At present it seems as though the Structural engineer has to model the structural elements himself - is this correct ?

Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Martin

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

OK - as ever, spend a few hours researching and find nothing, post a query - then stumble across the answer yourself (well maybe it's the answer - I'm not sure whether this is best practice).

In the architectural model - I noticed the 'Structural' option under the Instance properties for the wall. If checked, you can then select various structural properties (bearing for eg). Once selected, these walls then appear in the structural file and appear to be able to be Copy Monitored. Not sure whether this then provides full structural functionality within the structural engineer's file ?

Is this the correct approach ?

Many thanks

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report