Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walls Move After Changing Wall Type

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PhilvK
1811 Views, 4 Replies

Walls Move After Changing Wall Type

I created a plan using the Generic 8” masonry wall type, set up the column grids, and placed the walls to correspond to masonry unit module dimensioning. After that was complete, I changed the wall type to a masonry wall with gyp. bd. on the inside and stucco on the outside. Even though the new wall has the same core width, all the dimensions are now off. Aligning the wall core face to the grids doesn’t seem to work, and I’m not sure you can move a grid. Do I start over, or did I do something very rookie-ish?

Thanks,

Phil

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
loboarch
in reply to: PhilvK

It has to do with the "Wall Location Line" used while laying out the walls. You have to be careful what you use as you lay out walls so they can be tolerant if you change the wall type later.

I suspect you used the default "wall center line" as the location when you first placed the walls. So when you changed the wall type the center line will "shift" a bit essentially moving the walls. If you layout to the wall exterior face or the core exterior face this will allow the wall to "grow" in a more stable way you can predict as you change wall types. You probably don't need to start over. you can use the align tool to align the wall back to the grid line, assuming the gird line is in the right position.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 5
PhilvK
in reply to: loboarch

The strange thing is I did put the original walls in using the exterior face of the core, so presumably the walls wouldn’t shift. I'll keep working at it. Thank you for your quick responses.

By the way, is there a way to rotate the plan view so that you are looking at angled portions of the plan orthogonally (like setting the UCS in Autocad)?

Thanks,

Phil

Message 4 of 5
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: PhilvK

PhilvK

Re the wall moving issue, Loboarch covered it. the Location line should anchor that part of the wall wherever you draw it.

With regards to the rotating the view, couple of things you can do without having to rotate True/Project north.

One option would be to make the crop region visible, select it, and rotate it X deg. If you are doing this you need to rotate the crop region opposite of what you want the view to be rotated, for example, you need the plan to be rotated 17.5deg clockwise, so you select the crop region for the view and rotate it 17.5deg COUNTER-clockwise. 

Another option would be to, from your floor plan, create "Scope boxes" for the regions that are angled (East wing, west wing for example) Rotate the scope boxes to match the angle of the walls (you can have as many as you like) then create dependant views, each one using a different scope box, and because you rotated the scope box in the "parent view" the dependant views with said scope boxes will appear orthogonal. See screencast below for a quick example:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/1440d536-a79e-49cd-b907-34f616167883

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 5 of 5
PhilvK
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Thank you Alisder Very nicely done!

Phil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report