Active Contributor
oihadsf
Message 1 of 4 (1,281 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wall Sweep to Follow Wall Profile

1281 Views, 3 Replies
04-12-2012 01:17 PM

Hello All,

I was wondering if there is a way to get a wall sweep that's set up in the type/structure properties to follow a wall if that walls profile has changed.  For example, in the image below, I've split the wall and adjusted it's profile to create some cheesy angled parapet.  How do i get my wall cap to follow along?  I thought splitting it and changing it's height would work, but no.  And if I change the profile without splitting the wall the wall cap just runs right through the wall, as if the profiel was never even changed.  I have no idea how to do this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Angled Wall.jpg 
Thanks,
~Wes~

You can't use a built-in sweep on a Profile Edited wall.

You can use an in-place family, or a Roof by Extrusion as an alternative method.

You might also try using a Line-Based Family, with a loaded Profile.

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 2 of 4 (1,280 Views)

Re: Wall Sweep to Follow Wall Profile

04-12-2012 01:21 PM in reply to: oihadsf

You can't use a built-in sweep on a Profile Edited wall.

You can use an in-place family, or a Roof by Extrusion as an alternative method.

You might also try using a Line-Based Family, with a loaded Profile.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Active Contributor
oihadsf
Message 3 of 4 (1,276 Views)

04-12-2012 01:25 PM in reply to: ccollins

Cliff,

Thanks for the quick response.  I was afraid that would be the answer.  I'll look into the other options you've posted and give them a try.

Thanks,

~Wes~ 

Valued Contributor
sgoodmansen
Message 4 of 4 (1,171 Views)

05-09-2012 03:24 PM in reply to: oihadsf

In-place families work really well for this situation.  I think The Revit Kid had a different method on his blog using reference planes, but in-place families are super easy.  Only advantage to his method was the sweep actually changed when the reference plane changed, but its a lot of work and I never got it to work successfully myself.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.