Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall room bounding properties are not maintained

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ryhane
3510 Views, 6 Replies

Wall room bounding properties are not maintained

I have a restroom where the toilets are housed in separate "rooms" divided by full height/full thickness walls.  I want the restroom to be scheduled including the area of all of the smaller rooms so I unchecked the wall's room bounding property.  However, every time I reopen the project, this property, although unchecked, is back in effect.  How can I get the room bounding property (when unchecked) remain the same when I reopen the file from day to day?  I made a simpler file to test this, but could not produce the same error.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ryan.duell
in reply to: ryhane

By default the room bounding property of a wall should stick whether checked or un-checked when the file is opened and closed.  I could not reproduce the behavior in some series of testing.
Does this happen on a few walls or every wall with this layout?  I would test the following to see if we can modify this behavior:
1.  Cut & Paste the walls to the same place, verify room bounding is un-checked.  Save and close the project, verify if it remains un-checked on open.
2.  Delete one of the walls this is occurring to, and draw a new wall from scratch of the same type [do not copy or create similar].  Un-check room bounding, save and close file.  Reopen to verify if the same issue occurs.
Please let us know if this was helpful in resolving the issue.  Thank you,

By default the room bounding property of a wall should stick whether checked or un-checked when the file is opened and closed.  I could not reproduce the behavior in some series of testing.

Does this happen on a few walls or every wall with this layout?  I would test the following to see if we can modify this behavior:

1.  Cut & Paste the walls to the same place, verify room bounding is un-checked.  Save and close the project, verify if it remains un-checked on open.

2.  Delete one of the walls this is occurring to, and draw a new wall from scratch of the same type [do not copy or create similar].  Un-check room bounding, save and close file.  Reopen to verify if the same issue occurs.

Please let us know if this was helpful in resolving the issue.  Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 7
ryhane
in reply to: ryhane

Thanks Ryan,

Copying and pasting the walls again seems to have fixed the problem, even after a few days of continued use/editing.  Thanks.

Kindly,

Ryan Haney

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ryan.duell

This is a huge ongoing problem because room bounding is a very prowerful tool. I am using Revit 2013, and this posting was from 2010.  This problem still persists.  Does Autodesk actually recognise these problems or are we waisting our time as I am waisting my time using Revit to draft my projects?

Message 5 of 7
rosskirby
in reply to: Anonymous

To be fair, it's a very minor problem that only occurs rarely, if at all.  I've been using Revit for 6 releases, and have never once encountered the problem, and after testing it in 2012, 2013, and 2014, I was unable to reproduce the issue.  Sometimes modeling errors, whether you're aware of them or not, are the root cause of the problem, not the software.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

Hello,

We have been having the same problem with our Revit project of 50.000m2 building. To us it is not a minor problem. Every day we have to check through the stories to be sure none of the unbounding walls are bounding. We have been forced to create multible different rooms in these cases to be sure everything is counted in and then add m2 together in a different program. I hope you could be able to fix the problem in future versions.

Message 7 of 7
LeemonBIM
in reply to: Anonymous

I come from the future bearing good news!

I have found that the problem usually occurs when working with model groups. Model groups areresponsible for a MAJOR  part of Revit errors (in my experience). 

When working, I usually create elements outside of preexisting groups and then add the elements to the group.

Same thing goes for room bounding, a wall or floor with room bounding on, unchecked while editing the group will bring endless errors with room bounding... So, solution:

1.Cut your elements from inside the group, exit the group and paste aligned to same place.

2.Check room bounding, apply and uncheck again, apply.

3.Edit the group and add the elements again

Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report