Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall "Openings" & using Wall "Sweeps"

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
andrew24
1041 Views, 8 Replies

Wall "Openings" & using Wall "Sweeps"

Hi all,

Does anyone have a proplem with wall openings v's wall sweeps? The problem i have is i've created a few wall openings, the applyed a wall sweep (as vinyl that is 2mm thick) and the wall sweep doesnt cut around the opening. It just covers it? IF, the wall opening is base constrainted, it cuts there, but not the head propley. The cut continues all the way up the wall of the opening?? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: andrew24

Could you post an image of what you're having a problem with?  If you're using the edges of a wall opening as the path for a sweep, then the sweep should follow along the full lenth of each side of the opening that you picked (assuming you were using the Pick Lines tool, and not just sketching lines).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 9
andrew24
in reply to: rosskirby

Wall Problem.jpgIS this clear enought...? Ta

Message 4 of 9
rosskirby

Not really...

It's just difficult to tell what you're trying to do and what exactly is going wrong.  Are you trying to model some kind of wall covering?  Is it a cased opening?  Your original question said something about wall openings vs. wall sweeps, which are two completely separate things, and aren't used for the same purpose.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 9
andrew24
in reply to: rosskirby

Ok.. Well in the picture if you look at the openings, it continues to cut the wall sweep to the full wall hight instead of cutting it to opening head constraint (in this case 2200M). The wall sweep is a profiled wall vinyl that is 2mm thick. 

And the other question i had is, with the wall sweep applied to the wall (my wall vinyl), if i do a wall opening say, 900m sill height and head at 1800m. It doest cut the wall sweep at all.

Im just lost on what else there is to do about. I've tryed all shorts of sweep "paramiters"...

Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
scadetMH3VD

10+ yrs later.....Has anyone found a solution to this? I have the exact same problem and can't figure it out. 

Similar to the OP, I have a sweep I'm using as a wall finish in a specific wall type. I need the opening to only cut a portion of the sweep, but it seems my only two options is all or nothing. It either doesn't cut, or the cut is full height, even though my opening does not go full height. Editing the profile of the wall finish has the same affect as cutting full height. Within the wall sweep settings, in the wall type, there is not a "cut by inserts" option. There is only Cuts Wall, or Cuttable. Unchecking cuttable results in the sweep being cut full height. Checking cuttable results in the the wall sweep ignoring the opening and not being cut at all..... Counterintuitive, no? 

What am I missing...

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: scadetMH3VD

@scadetMH3VD wrote:

10+ yrs later.....Has anyone found a solution to this? I have the exact same problem and can't figure it out. 

Similar to the OP, I have a sweep I'm using as a wall finish in a specific wall type. I need the opening to only cut a portion of the sweep, but it seems my only two options is all or nothing. It either doesn't cut, or the cut is full height, even though my opening does not go full height. Editing the profile of the wall finish has the same affect as cutting full height. Within the wall sweep settings, in the wall type, there is not a "cut by inserts" option. There is only Cuts Wall, or Cuttable. Unchecking cuttable results in the sweep being cut full height. Checking cuttable results in the the wall sweep ignoring the opening and not being cut at all..... Counterintuitive, no? 

What am I missing...

If you mean something like the image below then Wall Sweep is not the best option. 

ToanDN_0-1630368151854.png

Any of the listed below is better than wall sweep:

- Unlock wall assembly layer(s) and change Base/Top Extension distances

- Stacked wall

- Reveals (at top and bottom)

- Parts

Message 8 of 9
scadetMH3VD
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, that's precisely what I mean, but it sucks those are my only options. I was hoping for a hidden wall sweep trick.

Parts would not be efficient with as many walls types as I have with this condition. 

Wall heights vary from 8'-22', so reveals also would not help. 

Stacked walls seem to be my answer. I typically prefer not to blend stacked & basic walls, but if I must, I must. The top constraint could work too, but then my users would need to take the extra step to set that value for each wall to make sure the shorter finish stops consistently at the correct height. It's only a 1/2 second extra step, but across a full project, I see lots of opps for error. Stacked Walls seem to be more dummy proof. 

Thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: scadetMH3VD

You can even create thin wall with base offset adjacent to the main wall and join them so that the opening will cut though them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report