Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Opening

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
berniebooc
951 Views, 5 Replies

Wall Opening

hello everyone..

Is it possible to have window opening in two parallel walls? the window crosses to the other wall which is not host wall anymore..

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: berniebooc

It is possible. If you do Join Geometry to join two paralel walls, the window will have its opening through both walls. Just the opening, though. If you want the frames, the sill, etc, you need to modify the window family.

Another option, though, is to create a special wall type that includes both walls and an air gap in between, and use that special wall only for those places where you have the window. In this case, the frame will cover both walls.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
berniebooc
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for the immediate reply. I can't use the 1st option since I split the wall intentionallly using Split with Gap as my boss wanted to show the split line in the cross section.

In the second option, in the edit family, I cant create new wall or split the existing wall as what you had suggested that Im going to use two separate walls in one window. So how? Please advise me what to do on this.

Message 4 of 6
Intecinfocom

another uses has already suggested you to create a new wall type in the project where you have combination of all layers of two walls with a gap in between.

New Wall type creation shoud solve your problem (we are talking about Project environment, plz don't mix it with family editing environment)

Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

@berniebooc wrote:

In the second option, in the edit family, I cant create new wall or split the existing wall as what you had suggested that Im going to use two separate walls in one window. So how? Please advise me what to do on this.

The second option that I mentioned was not referring to adding another wall in the window family, which, as you saw, it's not possible. I was referring to creating a special wall type in the project; a wall that includes the componentes of two walls, with a cavity in between, to make it just one wall. The advantage of this option is that it does not require any work in the family editor.

There is yet a third option, which means a re-make of the window family, making the depths of the frames flexible, and replacing the opening with a void with a flexible depth. That will work, too, but it requires good skills with the family editor.

The attached illustration shows a sample of the second option.

12-29-2012 5-37-31 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
berniebooc

this is my case, we are working on a project tendering of a clean room laboratory here in singapore.

Since this is our proposal to the main contructor, we are not following the main drawing with respect to the length of the wall.  Now, I'm using 1,200mm length of wall but the problem is some window which crosses to the parallel wall will not cut the opening.

I'm only using normal wall, then use split with gap to obtain the 1,200mm length of wall. we are doing this so that it would be very easy for the wall manufacturer to cut the opening of the window or door. and for the purpose of showing to the main contructor the actual placement of windows and doors to the wall.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report