Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall lineweights

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
HomesByDundee
4085 Views, 9 Replies

Wall lineweights

Hi, I am trying to get the foundation lineweights to be heavier than the rest of the wall lineweights. I only see one option for wall under "object styles", and it affects all walls.

Please let me know if there is any way I can change this lineweight.

Thanks,

Cory - Homes By Dundee

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I think this is a problem in Revit.....for System Families

If you want to change the lineweights of the walls only in the active view, but for all of them...you can do it in:

Properties > Visibility Graphics Overrides > Model Categories > Overrides Host Layers > Cut Line Styles > Edit ....this is a good option indeed..

But if you want to make changes only to one wall in all the views...

Manage > Object Styles > Model Objects > Modify Subcategories > New....you can create new categories , but for system families like walls I did not find the possibility to apply to usual walls...it can be applied only  to Model in Place Walls.

For loadable families Subcategories works well ...

I wish this problem to be solved  in Revit for walls and floors... let's hope Autodesk will solve the problem.....

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: HomesByDundee

You can control the lineweights separately for the Foundation Walls using a Filter.

You can set up the Filter for Walls, name it "Foundation Wall", then give it a Yes/No Parameter.

Make sure yopu assign the Filter to Wall Category.

Then select the Foundation Wall, and in Type Properties, check the Yes box.

Then in a view which shows the Foundation Wall, under VG,Filters, Add the new Filter--it will appear in the list.

You can now set the line weight for Projection and Cut line weights for only your Foundation Walls.

You can then apply the Filter to a View Template, and assign the View Template to any views where you need the lineweight controlled by the Filter.

Message 4 of 10
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

TANKS A LOT !...I didn't think of it but is great...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hello Cliff,

I'm somebody new to this same problem.

You are over my head.  Can you please explain, step by step how I might be able to make the core walls in a frame house heavier line weight, then have the other lines in the plan view of the wall lighter?

Filters???  What's that?  Trying to create a WYSIWYG view of my model that will reflect the line weights for plotting.

Trying to find out how to individually assign line weights to each part of a wall.  Not finding this under the Manage>Additional Settings>Line Weights chart.  I'm looking for something that lets me control each layer/Material of my wall construction.  Thank you.  Sorry for a Revit Expert like you to have to answer newbie questions like this.  I do appreciate your help.

Message 6 of 10
constantin.stroescu

see my post from above or my answer to your other post...

Properties > Visibility Graphics Overrides > Model Categories > Overrides Host Layers > Cut Line Styles > Edit

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

I was having a similar bit of trouble.  Despite the number of years that this product has been out there, it could still use some changes for some fundamentally basic stuff.

Anyhoo...if you go to your visibility/graphics override under properties you should see (I'm using Revit 2014 LT) at the bottom right hand corner a small

box saying "Override Host Layers" with an option to be cut lines styles and an EDIT button.  Press the edit button and you can further adjust the lines that make up your various walls.  It's still not perfect but much closer to what we need.

Cheers,

mcvl72

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks. I finally gave up on Revit. Just too many brick walls to run into
without an in-house answer person to help. I bought SoftPlan 2014. But I
appreciate the response to my long ago question. All my best.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Then select the Foundation Wall, and in Type Properties, check the Yes box. (Can you screen capture this process? I got confused with the instruction)

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
David_W_Koch

I have expanded on Mr. Collins' post (original text in italics).

You can control the lineweights separately for the Foundation Walls using a Filter.

Create a Project Parameter (Manage ribbon tab > Settings Panel > Project Parameters tool).  Select the Add button to create a new Project Parameter.  Do the following in the Parameter Properties dialog:

• Assuming this value will not need to appear in a tag, you can make it a Project parameter, and not a Shared parameter.
  • In the Categories area, check Walls.  (In filter list, check Architectural if you do not see Walls as a Category.)
  • Give the parameter a Name, such as Foundation Walls.
  • Set the Type of Parameter to Yes/No.
  • Choose a group for the parameter, such as Graphics.  (Feel free to choose another group, if you want this parameter to show up somewhere else.)
  • Decide if the parameter should be type-based (same value for all Walls of the same type) or instance-based (each Wall can be set individually).  If your foundation Walls always use one or more types and those types are only used for foundation Walls, you can make it type based.  Otherwise, choose instance-based.
  • Leave Values are aligned by per group type selected and Add to all elements in the selected categories checked.
  • Select OK twice to add the parameter to your project.

You can set up the Filter for Walls, name it "Foundation Wall", then give it a Yes/No Parameter.

Make sure yopu assign the Filter to Wall Category.

On the View ribbon tab, on the Graphics panel, select the Filters tool.  In the Filters dialog, select the New button.  In the Filter Name dialog, type the name of your filter in the Name edit box, such as Foundation Walls.  Leave the Define Criteria radio button selected and select OK.  In the Filters dialog (a new dialog, with the same name as the originally opened one), select the new filter in the Filters list box.  In the Categories area in the middle of the dialog, set the Filter list to Architecture and then check only the Walls category (unless you have a reason for this filter to apply to other object types).  In the Filter Rules area at the right side, select the Filter by drop-down list and choose your new Project Parameter (in my example, Foundation Walls).  Verify that the next drop-down is set to equals.  Then choose the third drop-down and set it to Yes.  This filter will apply to all Walls whose Foundation Walls parameter is set to Yes (toggle checked).  Select OK twice to save the Filter and return to the project.

Then select the Foundation Wall, and in Type Properties, check the Yes box.

If you made a type-based parameter, edit each of your Wall types and, for the newly added parameter (Foundation Walls in my example), check the toggle for types that are foundation Walls and clear the toggle for all other types.

If you made an instance-based parameter, select all of your foundation Walls and check the Foundation Walls parameter's toggle.  Select all of the other Walls and clear the Foundation Walls parameter's toggle.

Then in a view which shows the Foundation Wall, under VG,Filters, Add the new Filter--it will appear in the list.

You can now set the line weight for Projection and Cut line weights for only your Foundation Walls.

You can then apply the Filter to a View Template, and assign the View Template to any views where you need the lineweight controlled by the Filter.

In a view where you want to change the way foundation Walls display, open the Visibility/Graphic Overrides dialog (if your view has a View Template assigned, you will need to edit the View Template to get to this dialog), select the Filters tab.  Select the Add button.  In the Add Filters dialog, select the new filter you created (Foundation Walls in my example).  Select OK, and the new filter will appear on the Filters tab of the Visibility/Graphic Overrides dialog.  Select that filter and set the desired override values for Projection/Surface and Cut.

If you edited a View Template, the new Filter will apply to all Views to which that View Template applies.  If you did not, you will need to repeat the addition of the new filter to all applicable Views, or create a View Template that includes the filter and apply that to the appropriate Views.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report