Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
thaner9
Message 1 of 3 (597 Views)
Accepted Solution

wall join with WALLS FROM MASS problems

597 Views, 2 Replies
07-11-2011 05:38 PM

I've attached an image of a problem I've come across when trying to make smooth corner joins with walls I created from a mass element. Join and Cut don't seem to do anything. I have to create the walls on the sloped faces of the mass first, then the "bottom" portion of that plane and then the perpendicular face, but that creates a void (not seen in this image). This image was created by doing sloped face, flat "parallel" face, and then a regular wall for the perpendicular face that I edited the profile. Doing that results in this image. Problem is I end up having to edit linework in views to get it to look right. Is that the only way or is there a way to join walls that are sloped/canted? Should I be doing this a different way altogether? Like making a wall component with a sweep?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Logan

You may be better off for this condition in creating an in-place component wall.  There you could create the geometry for the entire chimney shape, and then cut a smaller void out generating the geometry as needed.

Without an example file to verify I can’t say for sure, but it should give you more consistent geometry.

If you want to attach a small example for additional review let us know; otherwise I would recommend this approach.

Thank you,

Employee
ryan.duell
Message 2 of 3 (580 Views)

Re: wall join with WALLS FROM MASS problems

07-12-2011 06:27 AM in reply to: thaner9

You may be better off for this condition in creating an in-place component wall.  There you could create the geometry for the entire chimney shape, and then cut a smaller void out generating the geometry as needed.

Without an example file to verify I can’t say for sure, but it should give you more consistent geometry.

If you want to attach a small example for additional review let us know; otherwise I would recommend this approach.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Autodesk, Inc.

Revit Clinic
@revitclinic

Valued Contributor
thaner9
Message 3 of 3 (560 Views)

Re: wall join with WALLS FROM MASS problems

07-13-2011 12:27 PM in reply to: ryan.duell

Thank you Ryan.

I suppose I can just add multiple 'layers' of COMPONENT walls to achieve the stud, substrate, finish materials to make my sections more accurate, or just not cut a section through the fireplace.

This will be useful in other areas. Thanks again.

Logan

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.