Revit Architecture

Contributor
jfitz2020
Message 1 of 13 (931 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wall Hosted Element in Linked File

931 Views, 12 Replies
12-03-2012 08:06 AM

I am having trouble working with wall hosted elements.  I have linked the architectural model into my Revit File.  It is now my job to run plumbing. 

However I cannot insert wall hosted elements such as a Wall Hosted emergency shower (attached).  It does not recognize the wall.  I assume this is becuase it is linked into my model.  Is there any way to use the wall from the linked file to host elements such as these?

Furthermore I am able to use another type of elemnent that is surface mounted.  Can I change the Shower to look for a surface as opposed to a wall?

Any Help on either topic would be great.

Thanks

You image shows the Copy/Monitor Options dialog, in which there are options only for the few Categories you see. To see the available Categories for Copy/Monitor, click on Coordination Settings.

If the Family that you wish to convert is not of one of the listed Categories, you can edit the Family prior to starting the process and change its Category to something that you can Copy/Monitor, and the change it back when finished.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 13 (928 Views)

Re: Wall Hosted Element in Linked File

12-03-2012 08:13 AM in reply to: jfitz2020

You can convert a Wall-Based Family to a Face-Based Family with the following steps:

1. Create a new Project, draw a Wall, and load the Family into it.

2. Place one instance of each Type of that Family on the Wall. Save the Project somewhere.

3. Start another new Project, and Link the previous Project into this one.

4. Use the Copy/Monitor tools to create a copy of each instance of that Family in the current Project.

5. The copied Family is now Face-Based. You can now save/export the new Family to a separate file.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 3 of 13 (925 Views)

12-03-2012 08:16 AM in reply to: jfitz2020

To host families on elements in linked files, you need face-based families. Wall-based families won't attach to linked walls, Ceiling-based families won't attach to linked ceilings,... etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 13 (921 Views)

12-03-2012 08:22 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

CADastrophe wrote:

You can convert a Wall-Based Family to a Face-Based Family with the following steps:

Wow, excellent tip ! Thanks, Corey !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Valued Mentor
mike
Message 5 of 13 (911 Views)

12-03-2012 08:57 AM in reply to: jfitz2020

The OP could also just copy/monitor the wall(s) needed for his fixtures....This would give the advantage of actually being notified if the wall(s) in question ado change down the road.....Just another option.

M

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
Building Design Suite Ultimate 2013, 2014, 2015
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Contributor
jfitz2020
Message 6 of 13 (902 Views)

12-03-2012 11:27 AM in reply to: mike

I have not been able to use the Copy/Monityer function for walls.  Can you do this? 

Maybe I am setting up the Link incorreclty??

Active Contributor
sagar.londonites
Message 7 of 13 (877 Views)

12-03-2012 08:20 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

CADastrophe,

Thanks for the tip, but I have a question. While using the copy-monitor tool, I see only limited category of families that can be copied. Please see attached image.

Am I missing something? I am trying to convert a wall-based generic model to face-based by using the method you suggested. How to copy the generic model using copy-monitor tool?

- Sagar
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 8 of 13 (860 Views)

12-04-2012 05:36 AM in reply to: sagar.londonites

You image shows the Copy/Monitor Options dialog, in which there are options only for the few Categories you see. To see the available Categories for Copy/Monitor, click on Coordination Settings.

If the Family that you wish to convert is not of one of the listed Categories, you can edit the Family prior to starting the process and change its Category to something that you can Copy/Monitor, and the change it back when finished.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Active Contributor
sagar.londonites
Message 9 of 13 (809 Views)

12-06-2012 08:06 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

CADastrophe,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't seem to have access to those settings as well. Maybe it's related to Revit build. I'm using Revit Architecture. Does it matter? Is it possible those additional categories are available in Revit MEP only?

- Sagar
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 10 of 13 (795 Views)

12-07-2012 05:40 AM in reply to: sagar.londonites

I think it would have to do with release rather that flavor, as some of the Copy/Monitor improvements are relatively recent. What version of Revit are you using?

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.