Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Hosted Element in Linked File

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jfitz2020
8869 Views, 13 Replies

Wall Hosted Element in Linked File

I am having trouble working with wall hosted elements.  I have linked the architectural model into my Revit File.  It is now my job to run plumbing. 

However I cannot insert wall hosted elements such as a Wall Hosted emergency shower (attached).  It does not recognize the wall.  I assume this is becuase it is linked into my model.  Is there any way to use the wall from the linked file to host elements such as these?

Furthermore I am able to use another type of elemnent that is surface mounted.  Can I change the Shower to look for a surface as opposed to a wall?

Any Help on either topic would be great.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jfitz2020

You can convert a Wall-Based Family to a Face-Based Family with the following steps:

1. Create a new Project, draw a Wall, and load the Family into it.

2. Place one instance of each Type of that Family on the Wall. Save the Project somewhere.

3. Start another new Project, and Link the previous Project into this one.

4. Use the Copy/Monitor tools to create a copy of each instance of that Family in the current Project.

5. The copied Family is now Face-Based. You can now save/export the new Family to a separate file.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

To host families on elements in linked files, you need face-based families. Wall-based families won't attach to linked walls, Ceiling-based families won't attach to linked ceilings,... etc.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 14
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: CoreyDaun

@Anonymous wrote:

You can convert a Wall-Based Family to a Face-Based Family with the following steps:

Wow, excellent tip ! Thanks, Corey !!

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 14
VWD-MLM

The OP could also just copy/monitor the wall(s) needed for his fixtures....This would give the advantage of actually being notified if the wall(s) in question ado change down the road.....Just another option.

M

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 6 of 14
jfitz2020
in reply to: VWD-MLM

I have not been able to use the Copy/Monityer function for walls.  Can you do this? 

Maybe I am setting up the Link incorreclty??

Message 7 of 14

CADastrophe,

Thanks for the tip, but I have a question. While using the copy-monitor tool, I see only limited category of families that can be copied. Please see attached image.

Am I missing something? I am trying to convert a wall-based generic model to face-based by using the method you suggested. How to copy the generic model using copy-monitor tool?

- Sagar
Message 8 of 14

You image shows the Copy/Monitor Options dialog, in which there are options only for the few Categories you see. To see the available Categories for Copy/Monitor, click on Coordination Settings.

If the Family that you wish to convert is not of one of the listed Categories, you can edit the Family prior to starting the process and change its Category to something that you can Copy/Monitor, and the change it back when finished.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 14

CADastrophe,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't seem to have access to those settings as well. Maybe it's related to Revit build. I'm using Revit Architecture. Does it matter? Is it possible those additional categories are available in Revit MEP only?

- Sagar
Message 10 of 14

I think it would have to do with release rather that flavor, as some of the Copy/Monitor improvements are relatively recent. What version of Revit are you using?

Message 11 of 14

Sorry for a late reply.

I don't think that would be a release issue, since I've tried using 2012 and 2013 both.

- Sagar
Message 12 of 14

Perhaps that's not available for Revit Architecture, after all. If you need one or two family files converted, post them here and I'll convert them. I currently have 2012 and 2013 installed here, so anything of an earlier release would have to be upgraded.

Message 13 of 14

Thanks CADastrophe for your inputs and cooperation.

What I was doing was only exploration of this feature for my knowledge, not something related to any projects I'm working on. So there is nothing I'd like you to convert for me. But I appreciate the response.

Thanks all of you, guys!

- Sagar
Message 14 of 14
KyleR13
in reply to: CoreyDaun

CADastrophe,

I know this is an old post and I'm not sure if it even applies to the 2012 and 2013 versions of Revit but I did notice while working on a project in 2016 that if you disable the system tabs for mechanical, electrical, and piping under user interface it will affect the available options on the tab when running the copy/monitor tool.  Mainly both coordination settings and batch copy are removed all together leaving just options, copy, and monitor besides the finish and cancel buttons.  It only requires 1 of those system tabs to be checked on for the additional options to during the copy/monitor tool provide those additional buttons.  See the attached pics for examples.

Kyle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report