Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Graphics-Plan

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2138 Views, 14 Replies

Wall Graphics-Plan

I'm working some new walls types (style) for presentation to my office at
work. I'm laying them out, and am noticing 'DOTS' at the ends of my walls.
One, it's rather annoying because they seem to be interfering with the
osnaps, and second, they look like crap on the screen. Is this a function
of the types, or graphics, and how do I get rid of them?

Thanks

--
Mike Maloney
Virtual World Designs
ACA 2008
Navisworks 5.5
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
melarch
in reply to: Anonymous

I tried duplicating your image showing the walls, even made new wall types and could not get the walls or dots to display as you illustrated in your attachment. do you have any imported images or files from AutoCAD as background.

Even after selecting my new wall type I could not get either the end grips based on the location line position for the wall more than one grip dot to appear at the same time.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
Modeling the Future/Drafting the Past
Message 3 of 15
GBriggs

I've not seen anything like this b before. Could you post a screen shot of the wall structure table? Or Zip and post a small sample project which includes these wall types? I am thinking that it may be caused by some interaction of the wall layer boundaries. Also, do you have any graphic overrides set up for the cut-lines? What happens when you turn on "thin lines" display, and zoom in real close?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Yes Mel there is an ACAD bakground linked in.

--
Mike Maloney
Virtual World Designs
ACA 2008
Navisworks 5.5

wrote in message news:5837695@discussion.autodesk.com...
I tried duplicating your image showing the walls, even made new wall types
and could not get the walls or dots to display as you illustrated in your
attachment. do you have any imported images or files from AutoCAD as
background.

Even after selecting my new wall type I could not get either the end grips
based on the location line position for the wall more than one grip dot to
appear at the same time.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
Modeling the Future/Drafting the Past
Message 5 of 15
dtabor-hanson

Looks like this is several years old but I just got this same problem going on in 2012. I have been working with a template started OOTB - not brought up and updated.

I have not seen these corner issues before. Any ideas????

First pic - shows dots - existing phase in view set for existing

Second pic - demo phase - parts demolished - not entire wall - view set for Demo

Third pic - new phase with view set for new

Only the existing shows this but I also get this problem if I draw a wall in the new phase using a view with new phase settings. So if the wall is created in the view phase - I get a dotted corner.

Message 6 of 15
rosskirby
in reply to: dtabor-hanson

Can you upload a blank file with just the misbehaving wall in it?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 15
dtabor-hanson
in reply to: rosskirby

seems like any wall is doing this

Message 8 of 15
DParkGForce

I see your wall projection line weight is set to 5 in object settings. If you lower that to 1 the dots disappear. The componant line weights are still there. I am not sure what element is actually making the dots but the line weight is controlled by the Object styles projection line weight.

Windows 7
RAC2012
Message 9 of 15
dtabor-hanson
in reply to: DParkGForce

But the office standard has the core of the wall much thicker than the other layers. SO, setting the number down does make it go away but I want it fixed - not ignored.

Know what I mean???

Message 10 of 15
rosskirby

The problem is being caused by the Projection line weight value for walls exceeding what you have set for the non-structural components of walls.  That is, since the non-structural components of walls are set to have a cut value of 2, any Projection lineweight that exceeds 2 results in the "dots" which are actually just the intersection of the wall boundary lines at the corners of the wall.  I'm not sure these aren't overridden the same way as the internal components, but that's the way it works.  You might want to submit a service request or wishlist item on this one, because I don't see any way around it.  As far as I can tell, your only option is to model them as separate walls (core wall vs. finish wall) and use filters to override the graphics.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 11 of 15
DParkGForce

On my screen the core is still showing as thicker  lines. The stud layer is anyway.  Some of the outer lines on the CMU-mtl stud wall type lose thickness but it appears to be gyp layers only which are thinner on the other wall types.

The question still remains, what is making those dots. It is like there is a small fillet at the corners drawn in a different line style than the rest of the wall componants.

Windows 7
RAC2012
Message 12 of 15
rosskirby

Mike (or anyone), can you explain how you set up your wall types to have the core component different from the rest?  I think the answer is in there somewhere, but I can't figure that part out...

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 13 of 15
rosskirby

OK, since for some reason the forum won't let me edit my previous post, here goes:

The problem is a lack of consistency between your overrides in the Cut Line Styles settings and the Object Style settings.  In your Object Styles, you have the Projection lineweight set to 2, but in the Cut Line Styles settings, you have all of the functions (other than Structure [1]) set to 1.  If you change them to 2 here, then the dots go away. 

You apparently can't have a discrepancy between the two, since you can't override the Cut Line Styles of just the Structure [1] components without also affecting the others (Substrate [2], Thermal/Air Layer [3], etc.).  If you set all the non-structure components to a line weight of 2, then everything shows up as you intend for it to.

Hope that helps (see image below).

Capture.JPG

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 14 of 15
dtabor-hanson

So the when I set them all to 2 it does look better. Thanks

Message 15 of 15
smith_rawlings_architects

I'd also verify if your object settings and your vg settings are the same for your wall cut line. Mine weren't and setting them to be the same fixed the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report