Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voids in nested families issue

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
alex60
990 Views, 13 Replies

Voids in nested families issue

Hi every one, I am doing a window nested family with two windows that have three voids to performe the wrapping of the stucco layer and the gypsum layer independently, but in the nested family I get a wall sleeve between both windows. I have used voids with parameters in the nested family, but when inserted in the projects the voids don't cut anything. See the images. Please, any help will be very helpfull.

Thanks,

Ales

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ccollins
in reply to: alex60

You may need to use Cut Geometry to make the voids cut the host inside the Project.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 14
alex60
in reply to: ccollins

Hi Cliff, the issue is that when we use the cut command in the nested family works fine the voids, but in the project we receive an error with the voids not cutting anything.

Thanks, Alex

Message 4 of 14
Jason_S

@ccollins wrote:

You may need to use Cut Geometry to make the voids cut the host inside the Project.

cheers

I agree with ccollins.  That has been my experience when using voids in nested families.  Make sure the void is cutting the wall in the nested family.

Message 5 of 14
alex60
in reply to: Jason_S

Thank you all, but in a recent research in this forum I found out an answer that I belive could solve the problem. I am using the voids in the nested family, and control their lengths with a parameters created in the nested family. The issue is when inserted in the project the voids do not work fine. I have read that I can not control the voids in the nested family with parameters created in the nested family, they must be created in the host family.

Any help will be helpfull.

Thanks, Alex

Message 6 of 14
ccollins

Are the nested familes Shared?

Do you have any Shared Parameters or Project Parameters?

If you load the host family, which has a nested family containing voids in it, into the Project, then use Cut Geometry,

does it cut the wall?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 14
alex60

We have the nested family with voids and instance parameters to control the void height, we use the cut command and works fine in the nested family, but when inserted in the project the voids do not cut any thing. That's the problem.

Alex

Message 8 of 14
ccollins

Can you post the family?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 9 of 14
alex60

I am trying but it 1.8 kb and is not loadable. I zip it but also has 1.7 kb so if you any idea to compact the folder I will do it.

Thanks, Alex

Message 10 of 14
ccollins

Try purging the family? Maybe file size will go down a little.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 11 of 14
alex60

I am posting two images of the nested family that works fine, and the error when the nested family is inserted in the project.

Thanks, Alex

Message 12 of 14
alex60

Reviewing the problem, I realized that one of the voids that cut out the wall become invisible in the family and there is no way to selected after we use the cut command. Any idea about this problem. I purged the family and did not lower the kbytes.

Thanks, Alex

Message 13 of 14
ccollins

see attached.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 14 of 14
alex60

I just did it, but no result. We obtain the same issue.

Thanks, Alex

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report