Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void Forms not Rotating/Moving with Model

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Tyler_SPH
3075 Views, 12 Replies

Void Forms not Rotating/Moving with Model

I've created quite a few complex components that have multiple void sweeps and void extrusions. When I am done editing the component and go to mirror or rotate the component, it seems the voids do not move or rotate with the other forms. Ive tried locking all forms and making the compnents into groups.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
L.Maas
in reply to: Tyler_SPH

It is not clear what the situation is. Where are the components and where are the voids. Is everything in a single family or are we talking about different families. Where is the rotation done, inside the family or in the project etc.

If you can post part of the project and/or families we can have look at it.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 13
Tyler_SPH
in reply to: L.Maas

Try to mirror, rotate, flip or mirror etc etc the attached model. You will see some pieces dont come along with the roate. flip or mirror etc.

I have it as a group right now. Same this happened weather a group or not.

Message 4 of 13
awes

Using REVIT 2015. No problem mirroring, rotating your piece of art. When piece was a group parts didn't follow as you explained. Usually I don't mirror or rotate groups due to odd behaviour.

Message 5 of 13
L.Maas
in reply to: awes

Awes is right when ungrouped no problem rotating or mirroring (also Revit 2015).

On top of that I very rarely make use of in-place families.

Almost all of the families I make are made in the family editor. Normally these have the advantages that they are easier to reuse and can be better constrained.

Louis

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
Tyler_SPH

When I said mirror, I meant mirror on top or flip over. Attached is a file of that and the results I get when I do that.

I am also using Revit 2015

Message 7 of 13
L.Maas

Ok, seeing it now. Revit is indeed not that good in mirroring.

Basic issue, as I understand it, that Revit has problems to control the proper mirror/rotating axis (especially mirroring) for all parts of the component. resulting in this kind of behaviour.

My advice as in my previous post. Copy your in place component in a separate family and load it back into the project. Probably you wil have better results then.

Or is there a special reason you used an in place family?

In that case you will have to make a second mirrored in place version of your component.

Louis

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Tyler_SPH

No special reason, I will try your method and see if I have better results. Is there a way to copy elements from a project to a family? I am getting an error with that now haha. Says cant copy elemtns from project to family.

Message 9 of 13
L.Maas

Yes it is possible.

1-Start a new family.

2-Go back to your project with the inplace family

3-Do an edit in place

4-Select all parts of the inplace family

5-Copy to clipboard (this one)

Copy.png

6-Go to your family and do paste from clipboard.

Probably you will have recut some/all of your voids, as I beleive it will not be maintained. Voids will be copied but the cuts will not be transferred.

Louis

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Tyler_SPH

Thanks for the information. I was able to create a generic model family of the element. I had the same mirroring issue while in the family editor. Once loaded into my project, the family would not even mirror (flip over) as i drew the mirror line to flip it, it would only just rotate so im assuming it cant be done. I guess I will still to remodelling the element in a flipped position. Thanks for info, learned alot.

Message 11 of 13
L.Maas

Does this work for you (see attached)?

Mirror.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Tyler_SPH

I can open that file, but I cant get that same result as you on my own. I created a generic model family for my family. When rotating the object in the family editior I was getting the same results I have been (not flipping properly). When inserting the family into a project and then trying to flip it in there, it was not flipping for me. I would use the mirror command and try to flip it upside down, but it would just flip sideways.

Message 13 of 13
L.Maas

Maybe the biggest difference is that I used a workplane based family?

Inside the project I uploaded you will find the generic family I made

Louis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report