Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual depth in elevation

36 REPLIES 36
SOLVED
Message 1 of 37
Anonymous
26119 Views, 36 Replies

Visual depth in elevation

So here's my question:

How do you guys do to visually represent depth in an elevation?

The only answer I've found is to use linework, but that can't be the way to go in a program such as revit. That's the whole point of it, right? To not have to sit and do things manually and then have to change the lines every time something in the building changes. I know that Archicad can show line thickness depending on distance from elevation line. And god do i dislike Archicad, but that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Another answer I've found is to use shadows, but then you get the problem of only being able to print as raster = no sharp lines.

So, anyone? I can't be the only one with this problem?

Thanks!

Victoria

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

I'm now confused... Am I missing something? I have now gone looking for this button you said nobody will admit to chasing. I can't imagine Autodesk would give us something to make things easy. Doesn't Revit have the ability to know where the camera is in relation to the modeled elements? It sure seems to know where everything is in 3D...Maybe that's why I'm the one paying to use the software and they're rolling in the monies.

Message 22 of 37
cbcarch
in reply to: Anonymous

check this out:

https://youtu.be/n1_ahoP7S4I
Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 23 of 37
chrisplyler

@preynolds wrote:

I'm now confused... Am I missing something? I have now gone looking for this button you said nobody will admit to chasing.

Nah. I made it up.

Message 24 of 37
rrush

I totally just looked for the blur by distance tool 🙂 Got me!

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous

All Autodesk needs to do is build in a secondary and tertiary option within an elevation.  When you pick an exterior elevation that is set to "Clip with or without line", the extents of the elevation show up with a dotted line.  There could be another set of dotted lines with grips so that users could set a "foreground" and "background" distance in the elevation.  Same could be true for sections also.  Like this:

Capture.JPG

Message 26 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I think the glass workaround is kind of a cool idea.  I'm going to have to try that out.  In the meantime - despite being a failry proficient revit user, I had no idea that when you use the linework tool that the little blue grips pop up at the ends of the lines so they can be adjusted.  Learned sometime new!

Message 27 of 37
cwinches

Portal for comments I've received in the past:

Here

Message 28 of 37
jasonium

Depth cueing does this in revit 2017 now. 

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous

Four years later... still nothing?

Message 30 of 37
loboarch

2017 Added a depth cueing feature to do this in a view.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-114C785D-280D-4B93-940F-E730FEDDB29E

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

Hi,

We are looking for a line weight by depth tool or feature in Revit, I heard that Archicad already has this feature, is this true?

It would only need to work in elevations for construction docs.

Kind regards,

Jack Meov

Message 32 of 37
ToanDN

Depth Cueing mentioned above can control it somewhat, not up to snuff in my opinion. So I still resort to using semi transparent masses obscuring different levels of depth.
Message 33 of 37
jimmydee

I think it's funny that no one's mentioned that AutoCAD Architecture does this, and has for over a decade.

These kinds of things are my biggest issues with Revit. It's difficult to justify using new and "improved" software that can't do at least what its predecessor did.

In AutoCAD Architecture section cuts and elevations have subdivisions and those subdivisions can be adjusted to fall where I need them, and each sub division can have a line-weight set. It's not perfect and could definitely use some improvements, but it gets close.

In a perfect world it would work like this.

1. Section cuts would have subdivisions that could be adjusted

2. Each subdivision would have a line-weight that is used to SILHOUETTE the elevation that falls within that subdivision. Emphasis on SILHOUETTE only. This is how things were done before computers.

3. Other lines within that subdivision would be set by a secondary weight and even a third weight if they are too close to other lines, i.e. lines on a railing elevation would decrease to a very light weight, based on a minimum distance to other lines.

This is one of the most fundamental tools that Architects use to make a drawing "read" and it is possible to program a solution, so I don't understand why it hasn't been done. Instead Autodesk gives us tools we don't need, when this one would save an enormous amount of time and make drawings more legible. Could it be that they just don't understand the problem. I hear a lot of talk about how drawings from Revit don't read right. The truth is that they can read right with a lot of work, but the point to be made is that it shouldn't take ANY additional work. I should be able to cut an elevation, section or detail and have all line weights and poche display automatically and correctly.

Message 34 of 37
eshughartJJED9

Tags (1)
Message 35 of 37
cwinches
in reply to: eshughartJJED9

The depth cue that Autodesk provided is not useful as it forces a raster of the view when plotted. Autodesk should create a vector based solution to this otherwise the current depth cue should be rejected and this issue should remain open. 

Message 36 of 37
carolinaAMD

What would you do in the case of a project that contains 50+ interior elevations? 

I'm also trying to find a way to create depth in our interior elevations with the line weights.

Message 37 of 37
ThulseDSZRC

I was an archicad user before as well so I think I know what you're trying to accomplish in revit. If you go to your elevation view and open "Graphic Display Options" you'll find a "Depth Cueing" option that will let you fade out elements that are further away. The depth cueing is dependent on the depth of your view box in plan view so make note of where that is set and adjust it if needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report