Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View Reference within text

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mreed08
3769 Views, 8 Replies

View Reference within text

Is there a way to have a view reference within a text string?  For example, if I have text on a detail saying "See Detail 1/S3.1 for more information.", is there a way that the 1/S3.1 can be linked to that detail?  If that detail gets moved, it would be nice to not have to track everywhere it is referenced within text.

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: mreed08

I'm afraid not.  The closest you can get is to  put "For reference, see detail" and then insert a view reference (View --> View Reference (on the Sheet Composition panel).  It will have to manually be moved if the note lists shifts or changes, but at least the view reference will update if the referenced detail is moved or renumbered.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 9
peterjegan

I have developed an app to do this. It allows the View Reference to be placed at the beginning, the end or in the middle of a line of text. The View Reference and the text then stay together.

The app is called "View Reference Plus" from Egan BIM Resources.

Check it out here or at the Revit Apps Exchange.

Message 4 of 9
Homsey-CCH

Is there any way in Revit 2021 to do this yet?  Being able to insert a view reference into a note seems like basic and obvious functionality.  

i.e.  "See detail 3 / A501 for a typical way to do whatever."

Please, can we get an "insert" button that lets us put view references (and hyperlinks) into our text notes?

Message 5 of 9
dana3
in reply to: Homsey-CCH

The ability to imbed a view reference into a string of text seems to be a pipe dream for now.  But it should definitely be under consideration, or better yet, being developed.

In addition, when any object, component, text, etc is selected to be moved, the move command automatically allows the user to drag the entity horizontally or vertically without having to click a base point first, then moving from point to point.  However, view references do not have the same capability.  To move a view reference horizontally or vertically (for instance to keep it aligned in a string of text while sliding it left or right if need be), you have to pick a point first, then move it.  I know that sounds lazy to not want to make the extra pick point, but when EVERYTHING else works that way in Revit, why can't View References?

Message 6 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: dana3

@dana3 wrote:

The ability to imbed a view reference into a string of text seems to be a pipe dream for now.  But it should definitely be under consideration, or better yet, being developed.

In addition, when any object, component, text, etc is selected to be moved, the move command automatically allows the user to drag the entity horizontally or vertically without having to click a base point first, then moving from point to point.  However, view references do not have the same capability.  To move a view reference horizontally or vertically (for instance to keep it aligned in a string of text while sliding it left or right if need be), you have to pick a point first, then move it.  I know that sounds lazy to not want to make the extra pick point, but when EVERYTHING else works that way in Revit, why can't View References?

Well, not everything else.  All view related tags (elevation marks, section cuts, callouts) behave the same way as View references.

Message 7 of 9
dana3
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks for correcting my sarcasm.
Message 8 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: dana3

@dana3 wrote:
Thanks for correcting my sarcasm.

You are welcome!

Message 9 of 9
valerie.eric55
in reply to: rosskirby

There is a way to create a text view reference, however, it will be separate from the rest of the note. I still haven't figured out how to include it in the note itself, but at least it's actually referencing a view on a sheet, so if you move things around, this method will update the note:

https://revitiq.com/adding-view-reference-text-notes/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report