Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Revit 2012 Server questions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
info
770 Views, 6 Replies

Using Revit 2012 Server questions

I need to work with another office on some Revit 2012 and Revit 2010 files. Both offices have their own servers and those servers are using Win AD 2003.

My questions:

Will Revit 2012 server work with AD 2003?

Will Revit 2012 server work with Revit 2010 (I beleive it will only work with 2011)?

Should Revit Server be installed on it's own, physical server, or can it be installed on say, my domain server? Can it be installed virturally?

I have a 3 Mbps line between offices - will this be adequate? Our Revit files are currently about 100-150 mb.

Thanks in advance.

dvcruz

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: info

1. revit server only supports Sever 2008

2. no Revit 2010 has no idea what Revit Server is

3. no idea

4. your going to have to test that on your network

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
ccollins

@info wrote:

I need to work with another office on some Revit 2012 and Revit 2010 files. Both offices have their own servers and those servers are using Win AD 2003.

My questions:

Will Revit 2012 server work with AD 2003?

No. It is supported for Windows Server 2008--64 Bit R2 is preferred.

Will Revit 2012 server work with Revit 2010 (I beleive it will only work with 2011)? 

No. Only Revit 2012.

Should Revit Server be installed on it's own, physical server, or can it be installed on say, my domain server? Can it be installed virturally?

RS should be installed on a separate physical or virtual server, it should NOT be installed on a domain controller or web/mail server.

I have a 3 Mbps line between offices - will this be adequate? Our Revit files are currently about 100-150 mb.

3Mbps is way slow. Talk to both firms' management and tell them they must invest in faste internet if the project is to be successful. 30 down/30 up is a good place to start--the faster the better. Do some ping tests between locations and record the results. Latency is the killer. 20 ms pings are good--anything over 40-50 ms will cause problems, such as locked files on the Central Server.

I would highly recommend upgrading everything to Revit 2013 and using RS 2013--it is vastly improved over RS 2012.

Thanks in advance.

dvcruz

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 7
info

Thank you DarrenP and CCollins,

The more I research, the more I find our need to update our network system. There just doesn't seem to be a way to work with Revit between our offices without spending a bunch of cash.

We are still running a few long term projects on Revit 2009, so I can't move to 2013 yet (licensing issue). So, that will have to wait a while but I will keep your recommendtion in mind.

We are looking at costs for uping our wimpy 3 Mbps speed.

One more question for everyone - could I use a NAS as a local server for Revit Server? I'm in the process of installing a Qnap NAS with 12TB of storage - would that work?

Message 5 of 7
DarrenP

@info wrote:

One more question for everyone - could I use a NAS as a local server for Revit Server? I'm in the process of installing a Qnap NAS with 12TB of storage - would that work?

you could store your data on it but you can't run revit server on it

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
info

Okay, I'm going to revise my original question:

Is anyone using Revit 2010-2012 on a project between 2 offices WITHOUT using Revit Server and if so, how are you doing this? Do you have a super fast connection between offices that allows this? Does someone Remote onto a desktop at another office and work remotely? Do you assign hours where only one office works on the project at a time?

Really, I guess the question should be, how did offices work concurrently on Revit projects before Revit Server?

Thanks,

dvc

Message 7 of 7
info
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks DarrenP. Kinda thought that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report