Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Linked Models

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
282 Views, 1 Reply

Using Linked Models

In starting to use Revit, I've learned how to create a project and link in architectural, MEP, and structural models to create the equivalent of an AutoCAD background.  I'm wondering now how I can gain information about my linked models without opening the architectural, etc. models themselves - basically, how do I XLIST in Revit so that I can see what a particular wall's construction is, see what a piece of furniture is, etc.?

Also, I've learned that all in using Linked Files for your model, none of the Autodesk wall-based or floor-based families (such as electrical receptacles) work - you have to create your own face-based families.  Is everyone out there creating their own families from scrach or using a workaround?  I just don't understand why the wall-based families would be the norm within Autodesk if those families are rendered pointless in most instances.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ryan.duell
in reply to: Anonymous

-First, you are correct that only face-based families can be hosted on linked model geometry.  Many of the more-recent families on areas such as Seek are face based.

-Regarding linked models, you can TAB-select anything from a linked model.  For example hover over a wall in a linked model > hit TAB key until it is highlighted > click on element > navigate to the Properties palette to view the instance or type properties of the element.

-You can also schedule elements from a linked file by checking the box “Include Elements in linked files” in the Schedule Properties > Fields dialog.

-Lastly, you can tag elements in a linked file as well.  Additional information is below:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/2214-Collabor2214/2215-Linked_M2...

Thank you,

Ryan Duell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report