Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using AutoCAD 2D in Metric Profile Family

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
david_dl1986
706 Views, 2 Replies

Using AutoCAD 2D in Metric Profile Family

Hi, I'm just getting started in Revit and I have a question about using AutoCAD 2D data in families. I'm trying to get a AutoCAD 2D profile into a metric profile family so i could pick the lines to create my profile. But when I try this I can't select the lines of my AutoCAD drawing.. What am I doing wrong or is it just not possible to do that is this kind of family? Thx

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hey David

This is usually a very simple process, have a watch of this screencast i done of the process.

There are a few ways to do it, import in the CAD file (NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU WILL IMPORT CAD DATA, ALWAYS LINK IT NORMALLY) 

Once loaded in, you can either draw around it using the line tool or use the "pick lines" tool and tab select a line to get the whole profile in 1 click. Or a much faster way, would be to (Only if its a single profile in the CAD file) select the import CAd file and click to fully explode it in the ribbon. Once done, you need to purge out the CAD data as it is useless and will pump up revit file size. 

Here is the screen cast: https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/f1a81640-0cec-401f-921c-5f32e502c67b

Hope this helps 🙂

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 3 of 3

Thanks, I know what the problem was why I couldn't pick the lines. I inserted the block as a polyline and not as seperated lines. Thanks for the solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report