Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Customized Template vs using a Customized Project w/ Save as

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
347 Views, 3 Replies

Using a Customized Template vs using a Customized Project w/ Save as

I've already looked at this post (2524508) and this topic is similar but different.

Here is the situation. I'm working on an architectural template that is coming along nicely (but this applies equally to other disciplines as well). All projects that will use this template will involve worksets. The problem I'm having is that I can't pre-set the worksets, or create workset derived view templates within my template file. As such should I:

1) Have a template (RTE) with all the customization it can hold, and manually add worksets and workset based overrides on a project by project basis.

or

2) Create a project (RVT) from the template, include the worksets and worset based visibility graphics and require new projects to do a "save-as".

From what I know to date, it seems the second option gives me more functionality, reduces per-project workload, and improves consistency (all goals of a template). I'm just not sure if there are other factors I'm not aware/thinking of that may cause it to be less desirable other than requirement of save-as/accidently overwriting the base project. These are addressed with a combination of training and restricted write access to the templates, regardless of RTE or RVT file format.

Your knowledge, insight and wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Robert Glover

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: Anonymous

I think it doesn’t matter if you start with a project or a template, as long it is a clean file.

Also I suggest you in case you want to use the project as a file then make sure it is a read-only to remind you that you need to do a save as.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Alaaeldin_Alsahli

hanks. I was talking with a coworker about this and he had some concerns about doing save as versus just hitting "new". But that is minor in my opinion. He was also worried about doing save as from a central model, since we want to have worksets setup on every project. But so long as the file is opened and resaved properly it shouldn't be a problem. So it sounds to me like if your willing to trust your team to properly set up a new project, and you train them on how to do it, then a project file is perfectly fine alternative to a template. Have other concerns or ideas please comment.
Message 4 of 4
Alaaeldin_Alsahli
in reply to: Anonymous

It is all about the company Standards and how or who need to save the file. 

You could do a detach from central and reserve the workset and then save it where ever you need.

It is a workflow that people needs to follow. Every company has their own way to work. 

From what I know, not all users are allowed to create the new central.

Bim Manager or the Revit expert need to start the project then other users could create a local from it and then Synch.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report