Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use Sharepoint to store families

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
HVAC-Novice
650 Views, 3 Replies

use Sharepoint to store families

I want to share families and the shared parameter file int he office. Typically we have them on a network drive and Revit can link to that folder.

That has its limitations since many more people have access and could advertently or inadvertently delete files. My idea to use Sharepoint. But there doesn't seem to be a way to link to a sharepoint size. We have Sharepoint 2010.

It seems A-Desk has a "Vault" program for the sharepoint server. I doubt our IT department is willing to use that. There seems to be this program (but no price or any other information). I also tried this, which doesn't seem to be able to connect to Sharepoint.

Any other ideas? Or what is another recommended method to store the families etc. in an office? Multiple people will "play" with them. i don't need a solution to store the actual project files, just families and other documents we share.

Revit version: R2024.2
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
iat
Explorer
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I am not sure that complicating things this way will solve your main issue.

You can use windows permissions or Group Policies to lock the family files from editing (only the BIM Manager has full access) users can only load families to their project and as soon as these are edited then they should be renamed and saved at a folder inside the project, then checked by the BIM Manager and if these pass the QA then to be included in the Office Library 

I think that Revit is quite complicated without adding more solutions to manage 

Hope this helps...

Message 3 of 4
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I agree with Iat

You are complicating the issue. Simply set up windows group permissions to the location on the server and your problem is solved.

On another note, you are working in a professional workplace, (i may be wrong :)) but i doubt you have malicious staff who would intentionally make changes/ deletions to this important location on the server. 

You are thinking the right way, but introducing another piece of kit for storage etc is no necessary.

Good luck 

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 4 of 4
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: iat

Well, we don't have a dedicated BIM manager. Only one other person besides me uses Revit. I'm not sure if it is practical having only one person in charge of creating and testing families. it also seems while using a new family, we keep editing it as needed. We don't have an extensive library yet, but it seems every family, especially from manufacturers, needs to be edited to work properly with schedules etc.

Using group permissions on network folders also would involve IT, which I think is a non-starter in our organization.

Maybe we have to rethink how and who edits families.

Revit version: R2024.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report