Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Parameters in schedules in families

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
HVAC-Novice
424 Views, 4 Replies

Use Parameters in schedules in families

My example is MEP  but this seems a general Revit question.

I want to create a schedule for equipment and it seems for MEchanical Equipment I already have quite a few parameters by default. How do i make those parameters show up in the family?

The workaround would be to create new family parameters and show them int he schedule (I know how to do that). But it seems unnecessary work to create a new family parameter (i.e. Gas pressure, or minimum flow) when the schedule already seems to have useful parameter.

question is, how can i make these default parameters available int he family? Neither the family editor nor the family properties in the model seem to show them.

My screenshot shows Family parameters i created in Capital Letters, but ideally i don't use them at all if Revit already has them.

Revit version: R2024.2
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
carlos.vieira
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I dont know if I understand the question....

In Revit you open a new family and create all the parameters you want.

Save it as a new family in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\Family Templates\English

Then open Windows explorer go to the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\Family Templates\English and rename the family you created (that should be something like - family1.rft.rfa)

Change the extention from rfa to rft

Then when you create a new family you can use this new template with the parameters you have alredy put there.

Hope it answers you.

If I was helpful please give me a Kudo!
Thanks!
Message 3 of 5
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: carlos.vieira

I don't want to create parameters, i want to use the ones Revit already has in the scheule (like the ones in my screenshot for the mechanical equipment schedule). Issue is, i can't locate them in the family.

I don't want to create parameters that Revit already has. For example the mech equipment schedule already has a "maximum gas pressure". But how do I use that in the family?

Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

There are many particular Parameters that are assigned to Families/Elements in the Project environment only, because that they are relative to the Project rather than the Family. For example, it doesn't make any sense to be able to access the "Circuit Number" from the Family since that is completely dependant on the Electrical Circuit it belongs to in the Project. While some of these may seem like it would make sense to be able to access from within the Family, there is no way to make them accessible. You will have to create and use Shared Parameters in lieu of the Parameters added in the Revit Project.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for clarifying, CADastrophe. I guess if it is just not possible, I have to create Family parameters (I don't really like shared parameters since they depend on the txt file). I just thought that effort would be redundant.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report