Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 2012 to 2013

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
rosskirby
2233 Views, 0 Replies

Upgrading from 2012 to 2013

For all those in the process of upgrading to 2013, I thought I'd offer a few tips and tricks that I've picked up.  Hopefully they make your life a little easier.

First, you'll need to download and copy the attached files to the locations called out in the ReadMe.txt file (just substitute 2013 for 2012 wherever necessary).  This will install an addin to your Revit 2013 program called File Upgrader.  There are instructions within the readme on how to use it, but it essentially opens and saves every .rvt, .rte and .rfa in the folder you specify as a 2013 file.  Bonus: it also copies the directory structure (folders and subfolders), so you can maintain your directory structure from release to release.

Key point: It will not update .rft (family template) files.  So you have to rename the files with the .rfa extension, then run the File Upgrader, then rename the files as .rft.  This is also how you can make changes to the family templates; while they're named with .rfa extensions, they're editable, so add all the categories, linetypes, notes, etc. you want.

Double bonus: to batch rename file extensions in Windows, Shift-right click on the folder that contains all the .rft files, and select "Open Command Window Here".  In the command window that opens, type "REN *.RFT *.RFA" (without the quotes) and hit enter.  You'll have to do this for each subdirectory.  Then, when you're done upgrading the files, just do the same thing and rename the file extension back to .rft.

I've found this tool to be a much better batch upgrade utility than the one that comes packaged with the Revit install, but your mileage may vary.  Also, kudos to Saikat Bhattacharya of the Autodesk Developer Technical Services team, who originally developed this addin.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report