Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresolved pointer references

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
rileypratt
7351 Views, 26 Replies

Unresolved pointer references

I'm trying to open an old revit file (2008 I think.)  I get a message "Unable to save because of unresolved pointer references.  Contact Autodesk Support."  Is ther any way to open or repair this file.

Thanks,

Riley

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
ryan.duell
in reply to: rileypratt

This message typically occurs because of some file corruption in the element database.  Often it can be manually repaired on the database level, but we would need to obtain a copy of the project file to verify.

If you are on Autodesk Subscription, you can create a support case if you would like to move ahead. 

Otherwise, if you want to host the file somewhere I can download a copy [such as Dropbox, and FTP Site, or similar] I can verify the file integrity.  However please keep in mind if you include the link here, it would be publicly accessible.  So if the file contains anything you do not wish to share I would recommend creating the support case instead.

Just let me know, thank you.

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 27

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my file, but it is not old and should be the new 2015 version. Can you help me?

-Joshua-

Message 4 of 27

If you are on Subscription, open a subscription case directly on the Subscription site.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 27

You could try to open it with an Audit an see if this could fix the issue.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 27
info
in reply to: rileypratt

I have resolved this issue a number of times. Right-click on the central model and copy it. Paste it into the same location as a different name. Open the copied file as a "Detached from Central" file and delete the previous file with the errors. Rename the revit file back to the original file name and presto! 

Message 7 of 27
casquatch
in reply to: info

Ddixon's approach worked for me.

Thanks for the help!

-Casey

Message 8 of 27
jourendy

Good day

how do i open it "detached from central ?"

Message 9 of 27
info
in reply to: jourendy

Go to the big "R" at the top left of your screen, click on open and navigate to the specific file. At the base of the dialog box, click on the box labeled "Detach from Central" and save the file.

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 27
jourendy

many tnx

--
Regards

Jourendy Bazoer
Dein 21-1
Tel: +5999-6748127/ +5999-5228127
Message 11 of 27

Dear ,
May you till me how can i use the Subscription ??
Message 12 of 27
Mohamed_Yamani
in reply to: ryan.duell

Dears ,

\May tou till me how can i use Autosesk Subscription ??

Message 13 of 27
ahmed.andalusy

the box labe " detach from central " is unavlable to me
why ?
Message 14 of 27
ahmed.andalusy

the box labe " detach from central " is unavlable to me
why ?

Message 15 of 27
matthew

Ryan,

I connot open my Revit file because of the Unresolved pointer references. I have tried Auditing the file (the system did not allow me)...

please help!

thank you!

MM

Message 16 of 27
ryan.duell
in reply to: matthew

Hello,

Are you able to open other project files?  If so – and this is specific to this file – there may be more corruption than audit can resolve on open (such as missing elements).  If possible I would recommend trying a backup version, or restoring a backup version using the process below:

Non workshared files

Workshared files

Ryan Duell
Message 17 of 27
danalamri

Hi, what is the central model? I am not on workshare or anything it is just my file and I have to submit soon and I got this error. 

Message 18 of 27
ryan.duell
in reply to: danalamri

Hi,

If you are not using worksharing – have you confirmed trying to open one of the backup versions of the model (earlier save)?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/...

Also – you can also try copy & pasting the same model to another file location and renaming it.  Try to open that version and see if the same error occurs.

Thanks,

Ryan Duell
Message 19 of 27
danalamri

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, yes I have tried and even the backups give the
same error !
Message 20 of 27
ryan.duell
in reply to: danalamri

If you are able to send a copy of the model in - to me - I can confirm if it can be repaired.

Thanks,

Ryan Duell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report