Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underlay - Seeing Elements of Linked Model in Underlay of Host Model

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
rkuffel
6012 Views, 9 Replies

Underlay - Seeing Elements of Linked Model in Underlay of Host Model

Is it possible for the floor plan elements of a Linked Revit model to appear in the reflected ceiling plan of the host model, using Underlay with the view orientation set to RCP?

For example, I would like to show the furniture and casework in a linked model, on a reflected ceiling plan of the host model. The casework and furniture in the linked model are on an equivalent level in the host model.

As I am writing this, I had a thought that maybe this only works when the underlay is set to a different level and that I need to just change my RCP view range to be hovering right above the floor...and set the link to underlay.

Any thoughts/help?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
LisaDrago
in reply to: rkuffel

Possibly changing the view range would help.

The main thing to consider is that when you are working on a ceiling plan - it cuts through the level and looks up where as a floor plan - it cuts through the level and looks down. So depending upon where the cut plane is you will not be able to see the furniture.

I have added an image that show how the view range works.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 10
rkuffel

Thank you for your reply Lisa. I believe that an underlay will not show any linked model elements. I have confirmed this by creating a small test project. I will post it when I get to work. It is unclear whether this is by design or supposed to behave this way. Since I'm old school, it seems like an underlay should be/show everything on a sheet, but that's another conversation.
Can anyone else get a link to show in an underlay? Thanks.
Message 4 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

I think you're right. I think the underlay is a property that cannot be "carried over" with a view when the model is inserted as a link in another model.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 10
rkuffel
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo; do you think I should add this to the help wiki?
Message 6 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Sure, if you find an article that talks about this in the Wiki, you can add this question as a comment to the article. Those comments are usually responded quickly.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 10
rkuffel
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I added a note here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/1468-Document1468/1630-Use_and_1630...

Thanks for the help everyone. Sometimes it really helps to know the limitations so one doesn't spend a lot of time on a wild goose chase. I think this is one of those times where knowing the limitation will help save a  user time.

Message 8 of 10
nmulder34

I found myself on this thread for a similar reason, to be able to see all architectural elements, electrical fixtures, and RCP/lighting in a single view from a linked model for purposes of exporting to dwg. After nearly giving up (even the option of 'overlaying' an RCP view over a floor plan view on a sheet didn't work b/c when exported out they do not remain 'on top' of each other but rather side by side in AutoCAD) and resorting for the not so bad alternative of having multiple views exported out as multiple xrefs, i discovered something that worked for me. 

I created two instances of the linked model in the same location. In VG=>Revit Links there were now two links listed below the 'parent' that can have separate overrides and linked views. I named one 'FP' and set it as desired (linked view, etc) for floor plan features. I named the other one 'RCP' and set its overrides to only show ceilings and light fixtures (and didn't select a linked view). You will have to adjust the view range of the host view as well as set it's plan orientation to 'reflected ceiling plan' (and used the host's view range of the RCP link instance). 

May seem like a long run for a short gain but it will actually save us a lot of time exporting out dwg's weekly, not to mention just fewer dwgs to deal with in AutoCAD.

Message 9 of 10
rkuffel
in reply to: nmulder34

Took me a second, but I think I understand and it sounds like a great workaround; nice work!

Off the top of my head (not looking at Revit right now) I would be a little cautious when using the Linked View, especially if you are not in control of the linked model and the visibility/graphic overrides assigned to the view in the linked model. But if I understand your method, the Linked View is key.
Message 10 of 10
nmulder34

Refer to this post by Steve Stafford of Revit OpEd, which gave me the idea.

I come from the MEP world so I live and die by linked views. They are an easy way to ensure our floor plan backgrounds look like the architects. It can get a little complicated but using linked views (and/or 'custom' under linked views) is like VG for the linked model. Only thing you can't use on a linked model is filters; otherwise 'all' (or at least most) the same category overrides are available to you.

I understand your cautiousness and like most things in Revit there is a learning curve but there is a lot of control in making use of and understanding linked views and the overrides available to you through the 'Revit links' tab of VG.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report