Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Place Components in Linked files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3197 Views, 4 Replies

Unable to Place Components in Linked files

I am having difficulty placing components in my Revit Architecture 2012 model. They are wall hosted (outlets) & floor hosted (floor boxes) components. I have taken the MEP, Base Building, Interiors, and Structural models and linked them into my new file. I have linked them in as overlay. Should I have changed the reference type to attachment?

When I go to place my components I recieve the following notifications from Revit and am unable to click any walls or floors: "Click on Wall to place Instance" (outlets) "Click on Floor to place Instance" (floor boxes). How do I set up these linked files so I can place my families?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can try to use the Tab key to select the wall inside the link and then place the component....I don't have a project open with links in it at the moment.

You also may have better luck with Face-Based families instead of Wall-Hosted.

You can copy the content from the Wall Hosted family into a new family that is saved from the Face-Based variety.

See if that helps.

cheers

Message 3 of 5
ryan.duell
in reply to: Anonymous

When placing components on linked model geometry, they would need to be face-based families.  I have included some additional information below:

http://revitmep.blogspot.com/2007/08/tip-when-creating-revit-mep-content.html

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 4 of 5
Sahay_R
in reply to: ryan.duell

Does that include doors and windows?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 5 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: Sahay_R

You can place face based doors and windows but they cannot cut out the link's geometry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report