Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to Revit Server from Workstations

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3505 Views, 9 Replies

Unable to connect to Revit Server from Workstations

Dear Sir/Mdm,

I have installed a Revit Server 2011(Central) and I am able to access it via the webpage on the Server itself and from workstations.

Eg, In IE, I type in http://revitsvr1 on the URL and I am able to access from the Server itself or any workstations on the LAN.

The problem I encounter is I am unable to connect from the workstations to the Revit Server in Revit Architecture 2011 when the "Synchronize" selection is grey out. Thus I am unable to select the Revit Server to connect to.

Other information:

- I have tried the revit architecture 2011 on the workstations in Stanalone as well as Network License.

- I am able to ping from any workstations to the Revit Server 2011.

- I have disable Windows Firewall on the Revit Server.

- I have insert an A record for the Revit Server 2011 in the DNS of the Windows 2003 Server.

1. What are the possible reasons for this to occur?

2. Must the Revit Server be configure as a secondary DC since there is a Windows 2003 Server already running as a DC?

(Can the Revit Server 2011 run in workgroup?)

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ryan.duell
in reply to: Anonymous

A few items below:

1.  You mentioned Windows Server 2003; please keep in mind this is not a supported OS for Revit Server.  You would need Windows Server 2008.

2.  I would verify each step below:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/01/10-revit-server-troubleshooting-next-steps.html

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ryan.duell

Dear Ryan

Based on the information provided,

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/01/10-revit-server-troubleshooting-next-steps.html

I have no problem connecting Revit Architecture 2012 with Revit Server 2012.

However, the problem with connection is with Revit Architecture 2011 to Revit Server 2012.

Notice that in Revit Architecture 2012, there is a DOWN ARROW next to the synchronise button where I can click on it to select the server to connect to.

However there in't any in Revit Architecture 2011.

Is there something I missed out which causes the DOWN ARROW not to appear on Revit Architecture 2011?

Thanks

Alvyn

Message 4 of 10
ryan.duell

For Revit 2011, make sure you install the Subscription Advantage Pack which adds the Revit Server

functionality.

Then make sure you have the proper Environment Variable for Revit Server 2011 on the client workstation; it should look similar to the image below:

Image Example: http://screencast.com/t/iLiuNfay3

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Dear Ryan

Is this the correct file?  - revit_2011_ap_revitextensionsrac_win_001_mlp.exe

If it is, I have installed it onto the workstation with Revit Architecture 2011.

On the Workstation with Revit Architecture 2011,

- I am able to browse to Revit Server 2012 via IE eg; \\SG-TST-RSC

- I am also able to browse to Revit Server 2012 via eg; \\SG-TST-RSC\C$

- I sucessfully ping to SG-TST-RSC as well as the IP of the Revit Server 2012 under DOS

- I have the Environment Variable on the Workstation with Revit Architecture 2011 which reads as VARIABLE=REVIT2012SERVER and VALUE=SG-TST-RSC

With all this, I am still unable to get the DOWN ARROW button to appear next to the Synchronize under Collaborate.

NOTE: With everything maintaining the same on the Revit Server 2012, I am able to get synchronize with the Server if I were to use another workstation installed with Revit Architecture 2012.

Please advise what else am I missing with?

Thanks

Alvyn

Message 6 of 10
ryan.duell

Revit 2012 has the Revit Server functionality built in; for Revit 2011 you need to download and install the Subscription Advantage Pack from Subscription Center.

The file name is as follows:

Revit_2011_ap_rsc-cea_win_001_mlp.msi

It can be downloaded at the link below [login required]:

http://subscription.autodesk.com/sp/servlet/item?siteID=11564774&id=15463135

Choose “Application Installation”.

If after installing and opening Revit 2011, you still do not have the option to connect to a Revit Server, verify the following:

1.  Open the workstation Computer Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables.

2.  Verify if there is a User variable for REVIT2011SERVER.

Image Example: http://screencast.com/t/BgRlNe2P

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 7 of 10
ryan.duell

I also wanted to add this post with a few of the previously mentioned items for Revit Server 2012 

installations:

3 Revit Server 2012 Installation Tips

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Dear Ryan

Thank you very much for your advise. I finally got Revit Architecture 2011 to connect to Revit Server 2012.

However, I encounter something strange is that some workstations are able to save projects to the server but some are unable.

This is the scenario and hope you can advise me where goes wrong as well. (Thank you in advance) 🙂

1. There are 3 workstations. I called it PC-1, PC-2 & PC-3.

2. PC-1 is on a standalone license

3. PC-2 & PC-3 is on network license. (All licenses are available)

4. When I create and try to save a project on PC-1 to Revit Server 2012, everything works fine.

5. However, when I try to create and save a project on PC-2 or PC-3 to the same Server, I encounter this error.

-> 1st error when trying to save, "The specified file name contains unsupported characters".

-> 2nd error follows, "Clean up parameters corresponding to Electrical Load Classification"

Note: The file name I a trying to save is -> project2.rvt

(I don't see any unsupported characters here)

I have attached a screenshot in pdf for your reference.

Thanks

Alvyn

Message 9 of 10
ryan.duell

Thank you for the attached error messages.

Would it be possible to create a simple Revit 2011 journal file and reproduce the error \ attach to this

thread for review?

Please follow the steps below:

1. Close Revit, open Revit, and attempt to save the project file to Revit Server.

2. After the error message occurs, dismiss the boxes, close Revit 2011 without saving.

3.  Collect the latest journal file from this session, saved in the following folder, and attach the text file to this thread:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011\Journals

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Dear Ryan

Thank you for your valuable advise & time in helping me resolve the Revit problem.

I got this problem of unable to save files resolved. While trying to get the journal, I try to install Service Pack 2 for Revit Architecture and it seems to be working fine now.

Once again, Thank You

Alvyn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report