Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions about railings... Any Revit Guru out there?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
zazkapulsk
1727 Views, 5 Replies

Two questions about railings... Any Revit Guru out there?

Hi

Using Revit 2013 (if it's relevant) I am drawing a case of stairs from ground floor to the above top floor. The stairs in the ground floor ar just positioned in the middle of the room, so railings are a must on both sides, but on the top floor there's a twist: on one side there's a wall, so the railings should end BELOW the ceiling of the ground floor. The other railings is normal, and should go all the way to the top part of the stairs and into the top floor.

I have two questions:

1. How do I tell revit to draw the railing on the first side all the way to the ceiling above it and not any more?
  2. Using Revit 2013, I can't manage to pick (using Tab) any specific railing lines, just the entire structure. I'm using 900mm Pipe. I think I saw that in Revit 2013 one can modify almost each railing line. Can't pick those.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ccollins
in reply to: zazkapulsk

In a Plan View, Click (select) the railing, and simply edit the sketch line to pull it back.

You may need to also check the final position of the end of the railing in a section or elevation.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 6
zazkapulsk
in reply to: ccollins

Thanks, but no dice.

I'm interested in cropping the railing to the ceiling and not the wall...

Message 4 of 6
ccollins

OK-- I see what you mean.

That might require the use of a second railing, with a custom end / baluster / extension.

Just my 2 cents worth here:

I think code will still require a handrail to extend up to the landing, unless it is a residential project

where railings are only required on one side?

I'm not sure from a design point of view that it is necessary to cut it off as you suggest--we have many projects

with similar situations where we just run the stair/railing inside / clear of the the dropped ceiling/soffit up to the landing / floor above.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 6
zazkapulsk
in reply to: ccollins

Thanks.

The code here allows that, and that's how we've been building homes, The thing is I'm sure Revit 2013 has that option stuffed under some sub-sub-sub-menu, an the frustration is due to my limited knoledge of it.

Thanks a lot for you time and effort. I appreciate it.

Message 6 of 6
Paul_F_Aubin

On item 2, is the railing an upgraded file from 2012 or prior? If so, then if it has the same name as a previous version of the railing, it will not update to use the component based rails. You will need to rename the old one and reimport the new one from a fresh 2013 template file. (You can copy and paste to do this). 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services, Inc.
Check out my books and training videos
paulaubin.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report