Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tutorial for Revit Architecture for someone w/little experience in AutoCad?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
j1209b
815 Views, 7 Replies

Tutorial for Revit Architecture for someone w/little experience in AutoCad?

Hi all,

I'm in a unique situation at work where I'm being asked to create level 2 building models of existing buildings in Revit Architecture, but I have no knowledge of AutoCad. (I'm a graphic designer.) What would be a good tutorial for Revit Architecture for someone w/little experience in AutoCad?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: j1209b

The amount of AutoCAD experience that is required to learn Revit is zero. Simply start by searching for "Tutorials" in the help documents of Revit.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: j1209b

We have some turorials for Project Spark that are aimed at people first comming to Revit and BIM.  Project Spark has a slightly different interface but is close enough to Revit to be able to follow along with the tutorials.  There are step by step tutorials and associated videos for the getting started guid.  You will not be able to use the included datasets but you can follow along and get a building pretty close to the one shown in the tutorial.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Spark/enu/Community/Tutorials

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 8
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: loboarch

Take some evening courses at your local community college. Revit is nothing like AutoCAD and vice versa, so it's best to not think of them as similar. Still, there are some parts of Revit that fall back on AutoCAD-like drafting, such as creating and annotating details...

...and another thing, if you do become a student you can obtain a full free version of Revit for educational purposes only. Do not mix any content you make in it with your company's content, or you will infect your company's work with an educational product watermark!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

Do not mix any content you make in it with your company's content, or you will infect your company's work with an educational product watermark!

This is not actually the case with Revit content.  The watermark only appears when using/publishing from the educational software.  Content later used in a commercial product will not carry the wartermark with it.

That said technically/ (and legally) the content can not be used fro commercial work.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 8
Bob_Zurunkle

Thanks for the clarificaton 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 7 of 8
cadgrrl

Hi, I can't find where you moved the datasets for the BIM Curriculum to. I realize it's not Revit 2014, but those 2011 datasets were great for students to use to practice. Where are they? Also, I only find a way to reply here. How does one make a fresh new post?

Message 8 of 8
David_W_Koch
in reply to: cadgrrl

To create a new thread, click on the Revit Architecture link in the line above where it says Discussion Groups above.  [Autodesk Discussion Groups > Revit > Revit > Revit Architecture > Where are the datasets...]

That will put you at the Discussion Group level, and there will be a New Message link on the left side just above the top of the list of threads.  Select that to start a new thread.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report